Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Censorship

Today's Mood: fair to middling. Today's Music: Tori Amos. Today's Writing: chapter 12 of Free Lunch (Yes! I am off the dreaded chapter nine! I spent all Friday writing, 6:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and managed to work through that chapter and beyond.) Today's Quote:
"He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; he who dares not is
a slave." -William Drummond

*******
Most of you have probably not read the books in His Dark Materials (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman, but you might have heard that the movie The Golden Compass is coming out around Christmas. Now, I read all three books and really liked them. I did know the author was/is a vocal atheist, but the story was interesting, unique, fast paced. Therefore I found it interesting that the Catholic church is coming out in favor of boycotting the movie (check it out here)--because it will lead to people buying and reading the books. Which is probably true. However, it is also true that banning books and movies makes people want to read and see them. So, in my opinion, they'll probably only break even.

Snopes has an article on the controversy, and if you read all the way to the last paragraph, it talks about how Pullman's criticism of organized religion is more anti-authoritarian and anti-ascetic than anti-doctrinal.

What I'm thinking is, what is wrong with people actually TALKING to their children about what they believe and why? Then maybe we wouldn't all have to be so scared of new/different ideas. Just because I liked the books doesn't mean they changed my view of the world. And kids aren't stupid. Sooner or later they'll figure out that people believe different things, and then wouldn't it be nice if parents had developed the trust necessary to have the kids come talk to them about things?

Okay, I'm done with my rant. If you want to disagree with me--go right ahead. You'll be wrong, but I'll listen respectfully. : )

2 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

It seems many churches were against the Harry Potter books too. Witchcraft, etc. Kids read the books in the pews--at least mine did and several adults also read the books at home. To ban or boycott something because of the authors' personal beliels is narrow thinking. You're right. Would any of us drank in highschool if we could have a beer at home any time we wanted? The more you put things off limits the more people want to push those limits.

Similar situation in GR schools with a book that had a story with the "F" word in it. The school board and teacher went ballistic, wanting to either return the book or cut out the offending story. The "F" word is part of everyday speech for most kids of both sexes. And most miovies have a liberal sprinkling as well. Fortunately, cool heads prevailed and the book was accepted.

Organized religion needs to be put under the spotlight occasionally. Too many get their "card punched" every Sunday and then screw everyone they can during the week.

smcelrath said...

I think you're right. In my family, we grew up drinking wine with dinner from the time we were only 6 or 7. The mark of a good dinner was few tablespoons of wine in a wine glass. So drinking has never been a big deal to any of us kids.

I still like a glass of wine with dinner, but only a glass--not five or seven. Sad thing is, most of the time I'm too tired, and don't drink at all because I'd fall asleep.

You know, I just can't give up the habit of getting up early to write!