Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year

Today's Mood: Happy. Today's Music: Unwell--Matchbox Twenty (at the moment) Today's Writing: this blog. Today's Quote:
It's our choices that make us who we are. - Dumbledore (Harry Potter--but I don't know which book)

*******
Well, this is it. In about twenty minutes it will be a whole new year. A year filled with possibilities, opportunities, disappointments, and successes. And it's often hard to tell what things we will remember, and what we will forget by year's end. I've found that it is usually little things that I remember most: an emotion, a smell, a strand of music.

If I were the type who believed I could keep a resolution, then I'd make several. Of course, I'd resolve to get published, but since that isn't totally under my control, I guess that falls more under wishing or praying. So okay, I'd resolve to exercise more--which technically shouldn't be hard since at present I don't do any exercise beyond the daily chores. I'd also resolve to get more sleep, eat healthier, and floss once and awhile. But I never keep resolutions, so why bother making them?

What I do want to do is live passionately, without regrets. I figure if I can really do that, then obviously I won't regret not exercising more, or eating healthier, or all that other stuff. Most of all, I don't want to get to the end of the year and find out I just put in time. Yup, real living means I'll get banged up, bruised and broken. But it also means I'll laugh so hard that my guts will hurt, and I'll love so deep that I'll lose myself and gain the world.

So this year I'll wish you all the courage and wisdom to live all out. The full Monty, take no prisoners, like there's no tomorrow kind of living. Give it your all, don't hold back, and savor every succulent, bitter, sweet, wonderful bite of life in 2008!

3 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

What a wonderful sentiment!!! I like the part about not eating and exercising as well or as much as we should.

I've just become the owner of an old tractor that runs very good but has a small problem with the hydraulics. It's like I'm back in school working on a flat-head Ford. I can see all the bolts and grease zerts, etc. unlike today's vehicle that if you pull the dipstick to check the oil, you can hardly find where it goes back in. I see new tools and implements on the horizon and crops growing for deer, rabits and birds.

I don't make resolutions either, but I will try to live my life with gusto. After all, I'm only going to be here once.

Thanks for reving up my New Year.

smcelrath said...

Yeah, I used to change the oil myself in my old car. When I bought my Subaru, I started to bring it in to one of those quick change places. Part of it is lack of time (you know, kids, and work and such), but part of it is the new car.

Old tractors are great. Back when I was a kid we used to help bail the hay on my uncle's farm. Makes me itch to remember it! Lots of fun despite the pricking from the hay and sweat.

outdoorwriter said...

Oh, can I relate to hauling hay! Being a city kid--the big town of Rockford--I arrived at work the first day in cut-offs. By noon it looked like I lost a fight with a renegade ice pick. Fortunately, my friend, who got me the job, lived close by and I borrowed a pair of pants to finish the day.

I was always afraid of not working hard enough, so I picked up the bales and almost ran back to the trailer until the farmer told me I could just wait for the tractor to get to me. I think he was saving me for the joy of working in the top of the mow. What a miseable job up there. I made $1.00 an hour but the food at dinner more than made up for it. What a great time to grow up!!