Friday, May 9, 2008

Plot Struggles

Today's Mood: Relaxed. Today's Music: The Call. Today's Writing: IFFY. Today's Quote: Nothing handy at the moment.
*******
Is it possible to have a novel be both a journey story (a Bildungsroman?) and a romance? And is Science Fiction a plot structure or just a way of telling a story?

I am, of course, thinking too much. But I am looking at where this story is going (with my other 2 novels I did quite extensive outlines before starting to write. With this one I wanted to try writing and seeing where it took me. No where fast, I can tell you that for sure!), and I went back to my original notes (I didn't jump into it totally blind--I'd have to change my whole personality in order for me to be able to do something like that!). I had gone through the book Story Structure Architect and found that the story I wanted to tell could be considered either a female journey story or a romance. And although there are many elements the same--conflicts and climax, and resolution and all that, certain elements are different.

Say for instance, it is a romance. In that case, the love interest has to show up early on in the story. Probably within the first 30 pages. It's not that I can't make that happen, but I am toying with the idea of making this more than one book. Possibly even a trilogy. Which may be insane seeing as I haven't even finished one rough draft yet! But it matters to how I proceed. If the main plot is journey story, I think romance can still be in the book--maybe like a subplot or something. And then the love interest can be mentioned, but not really play a big part right away--or even in the first book much at all.

If the main plot is romance, then... hmmm, even as I'm writing this I'm thinking that romance isn't enough for me to arc it over more than one book. Not that I can't come up with obstacles, but there has to be something more than that.

And at what point do I have to decide if it is going to be more than one book? Makes me think I need to take time to do a detailed outline. But I'm trying to allow more spontaneous creativity. I feel like I write a lot like I draw or paint. Put down one layer. Erase it. Put down another layer. Probably erase at least part of it. Put down another layer. Like I'm building a shithouse out of bricks made from straw and mud! Somehow I think that if I were a real writer, writing would be easier. I would be more creative and I could imagine the story in one fell swoop instead of slowly and painstakingly coming up with details to pile on top of each other until I have something that resembles a story.

How can I love something that drives me so crazy? Yet I do, and I'm not just talking about my husband and kids here! Writing is wonderful--and torturous at the same time. And I suppose I'd better just go to bed at this point before my head implodes. Happy writing!

4 comments:

Mike said...

Sarah,

You are a REAL writer.

My only frame of reference was the one novel I've written - I used an outline and I was damn glad I did. I feel like there is actually more freedom and creativity involved within the context of the structure. I don't have to worry about what happens next, but in the description of what happens next. Then my mind moves like a movie camera, taking in the details of the scene.

I was surprised to hear so many writers work without this structure. I guess there isn't a right or wrong way, just a way that works for each writer.

Another metaphor - in music, if you sit down with your instrument of choice - you can just see what comes out. Complete improvisation. I like that kind of music. I enjoy listening to the process. I may not go back and listen to it again and again. But I like it.

Or you can sit down and say "now I'm going to play 'Honeysuckle Rose' and start plucking out the changes. And maybe you play it fast or slow, or rough or sweetly. But the creativity is still there. So is the structure.

Talk soon,

Mike

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

I'm absolutely no help in this regard. But I agree with Mike--you are a real writer and a damn good one. It will click one day, just keep at it. You may struggle with a novel; I struggle with a 1000 word essay.

smcelrath said...

Thanks guys,

I come to the conclusion that I like freedom and creativity within the constraints of structure. Leave it too wide open and I overthink. Evidently all the plot questions need to be thought out at some point. It's just a matter of putting the time in before hand (outlining) or afterwards (revision stage).

And I'm like Mike, I like to have the outline to fall back on when I get stuck.

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

Of course you're a real writer. No matter how torturous or exhilerating the process, you continue to go back to it again and again and produce something great. Sometimes we go through a few canvases before we get the keeper.

In general, I would say that I work without the structure. I was so bored with the only novel I ever outlined that I never actually wrote it (probably better that way). I really enjoy following where the characters lead me, and many times it's in a different direction than I anticipated.

But even spontaneous me (I should say disorganized, but I'm feeling optimistic at the moment) wonders if things might go faster if I was a little more um...structured. Somettimes I'm led to places where I spend more time thinking out my next few steps than writing them.

A trilogy, huh? Sounds exciting. I know someone else who is writing a historical trilogy and I'm always amazed when she talks about the events she has planned for books two or three. Sometimes I worry that I've spent so long working on the Shoe Tree that there won't be another story waiting. Not true, I know, but the little gremlin still likes to whisper lies like that.

Well, I think I've bathered enough myself.

Word Count: not even gonna bother
Listening to: Rent Soundtrack (yes, again)