Saturday, September 20, 2008

Work area

Today's Mood: Relaxed. Today's Music: Matchbox Twenty. Today's Writing: Black Dragon. Today's Quote:

Writers drive and plot. And you thought cell phones were dangerous. - bumpersticker

*******

We've talked about what we read--or at least, what we pile next to our bed (or in our relaxing area)--so let's talk about where we do our writing. What does it look like? What things are on the desk or table or floor next to your recliner? What things are on the walls? What can you hear? What do you smell? What do you have to have in order to enjoy a good writing session? And most of all, what do you think it says about what kind of a writer you are?

During the week I write in my office at school. My desk is small and solid wood. I need to have my cappuccino because it is 6:45 a.m. Music is also a must--I usually do shuffle on the music library on my computer. I have a Thesaurus next to the desk, a nail file in my desk drawer, Internet access in case I need to look something up, and notes about characters, eye colors, names, family and so on. While doing this Black Dragon revision, I leave the draft with Tricia's editing notes sitting on the desk to refer to as I go along. The room smells like orange blossoms due to the reed diffuser sitting on my filing cabinets. And I am surrounded by dragons and fairies, many, many books, a spilled cup of coffee, chocolate, and the Sorting Hat, Fawkes, and Time Traveler--all replicas from the Harry Potter books.

I love my Brazilian Cherry desk at home, although I don't use it to write except for during the summer or during school breaks. It smells like kitty litter with the faint hint of Bounce, since my desk is between the cat's litter pans and the washer and dryer. If I'm writing for an extended period--say, I send the kids to daycare for the day--then I light my cinnamon candle. Tea or cappuccino is important for comfort (and diversion when I get stuck) as well as warmth since the basement gets cold. To my left I have my CDs, many writing books, and folders with all my writing stuff. My desk itself has all these great little cubbies that I can (and do) fill with all sorts of things.

My work area and habits probably show that I'm only a part-time writer. And that I'm definitely a multi-tasker. I'd like to think that my work space shows my artistic, eclectic, spontaneous personality, but maybe it just shows that I'm messy and immature. : )

7 comments:

Mark Wolfgang said...

I have nothing to add to this, except... I am SOOOOOOO ready to be outta here and up at Glen Lake. I am SOOOO tired of being a rat in a maze where they change the maze every stinking day (read: trying to find my way to work when they close different streets every day, often for weeks and months on end). I almost gave up after 1.5 miles today and came back home again. And then at work... again, a rat in a maze, where they change the maze and move the cheese every day, assuming there really is any cheese. --Mark

smcelrath said...

Me too! Me too!

Oh, there was cheese. Unfortunately it grew mold some time ago so they threw it out.

Mark Wolfgang said...

Really? I figured the investment bankers ate the cheese, now they want us to pay them each $1 billion (all 700 of them) for making that tough decision for us and taking on the responsibility themselves. --M

smcelrath said...

Yeah, and they want us to give them a six figure severence package to pay them for the indigestion they got from eating all the cheese.

Mark Wolfgang said...

Six figures? They won't get out of bed for six figures. --M

Mike said...

I usually write in the living room of my condo, seated in my leather chair with my lap top resting on a padded wooden platform. I write poetry by hand, first draft, in a notebook. I always have some music playing - I actually program a soundtrack to what I'm writing, usually. There are pieces that I play that practically induce a trance for me.

Have fun at Glen Lake! I'll be on Mackinac Island from the 6th to the 12th. Hopefully writing. I love to tackle poetry sitting on the big front porch of the Island House, overlooking the straits.

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct partner who uses your money in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://uxogilebat.s-enterprize.com/abasawup.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to become rich