Thursday, August 6, 2009

Building connections

Today's Mood: Happy. Today's Music: Linkin Park: Meteora. Today's Writing: This post--but oh happy day, tomorrow I have the whole day to work on IFFY! Today's Quote:
When I can't write, I feel so empty. -John Steinbeck

*******

How do you decide what conference to go to? SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators) has a fall conference. Do I go to the PW conference which definitely emphasizes writing time, or do I attend the SCBWI conference, which does much more in the way of workshops? One is more about writing and small group feedback, and the other is more about making connections and learning the industry ins and outs.

So how do I know which is best for me right now?

The other thing I'm playing with in my head is the idea of looking into getting an MFA from Vermont College. They have a program that focuses on writing for children and young adults. Right up my alley. Is there any benefit to having an MFA? I tend to look at it as making connections and lending my writing weight, priority.

All these things in my head and what I really need to do is write. Tomorrow I have the day free to write. Jane has to go back to school in this next scene. I can't wait to find out what is going to happen!

Happy writing to you all--and if you have any words of wisdom for my dilemmas, let's hear them.

2 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

I feel your pain! This summer, OWAA (Outdoor Writers Assoc. of America) held their conference in Grand Rapids. It's a four or five day event. I couldn't decide if I wanted to go and ended up not going. That was dumb! It was a finacial thing for me, but I should have gone. It never would have been cheaper, as I could stay at home nights. It's gerat place to network, but I wasn't prepared--no cards, photos, etc. On the other hand, I wasn't too excited about things to do in G.R.

Workshops are a fantastic learning experience, depending on who's teaching. I'd run it by Shirley.

Good luck.

Larry

smcelrath said...

Thanks Larry, I think I'll do that. Maybe Shirley is even going....