Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Perceive, believe

Today's Mood: Harried. Today's Music: Rilo Kiley - Better Son/Daughter. Today's Writing: IFFY. Today's Quote:
"I've been reading accident reports of various kinds for thirty or more years. Call me callous, but to me they're like silent comedy movies. People do the strangest things and get themselves into the most amazing predicaments. You want to go wake up Tolstoy and Dostoevsky and say: Hey, you think your characters are crazy...." - Laurence Gonzales

*******
Man, oh man, getting up at 5:30 a.m. when you are used to 9:00 a.m. is harder than a one-legged lady dancing a jig--on her missing leg! And writing at 6:30 a.m. is just as hard--but sorta awesome too. Back to the routine. Back to the chaos. Back to the not-so-creative writing process that occasionally churns out some pretty creative stuff.

So okay, we were talking about survival (which does seem relevant given the chaos of the first day of school in a middle school). Laurence Gonzales in his book Deep Survival talks about a certain uniformity in survival cases. He comes up with 12 points that seem to "stand out concerning how survivors think and behave in the clutch of mortal danger."

First off, survivors perceive and believe. In other words, even in a crisis, survivors perceptions and thought processes keep working. They pay attention to details and even find humor or beauty in the situation. But they are aware of and accept reality. Gonzales says they "move through denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance very rapidly." (Kubler-Ross stages of grief.)

I think in order to survive as a writer, one definitely needs to be able to perceive the reality that few get rich at this job--in fact, one might never even manage to get published--and yet one still has to believe it is worth trying. Rejections used to rock me a lot more than they do now. Not that I like them, but I have come to an acceptance that they are part of the situation, the job.

Think about the jokes and one-liners that get thrown around at the PW conferences. It's all a way of using humor to deal with the stress of the job (so to speak). Those that survive accept that writing is hard and often has little public/monetary reward, but they also believe it is worth writing.

I have to think about this a bit more. Maybe the perceive/believe fits with revision as well. Right now I perceive that I have to go to bed or I won't be able to do the one-legged jig tomorrow morning at 5:30 a.m. Happy Writing!

2 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

Your comment that few make money at writing prompted some thought. What is it that makes some successful and others not, at least in the finacial sense? Anyone who writes is succesful, even if they only write for a limited audience of one.

In the outdoor field, some write books in addition to magazine articles. Videos and DVDs are another outlet. But I think it all boils down to marketing yourself. I know guys who have written successfully about stuff they have never done. They contact the experts. I think these writers are more extroverted and more confident. Maybe they just get breaks. In all honesty, they make their own luck. As one writer said, never turn down an assignment, even if you've never done it. Find someone who knows how and learn from them.

You keep learning by reading. That's good advice for all of us.

Now about that jig....

smcelrath said...

Good point. What makes someone not only survive but be successful at writing? Of course, great writing is the most important part. But nowadays marketing seems to play a close second. And the belief that you can do it (along with the willingness to learn how).

PW has helped me tremendously. I'm not afraid to ask someone to look something over for me BEFORE I send it out. We have so much talent available out there in our peers. Agents and Editors--I haven't got that far yet, but I imagine they are another layer of help.

Larry, I like the idea of making your own luck. No longer the victim...