Thursday, October 22, 2009

Promises, promises

Today's Mood: Hmmm, tired but relaxed. Today's Music: Coldplay--Parachutes. Today's Writing: IFFY. Today's Quote:
*******
Let's talk about the promise of the first page or the first paragraph. At the SCBWI conference, one of the speakers talked about the promise that the first page--paragraph--made to the reader. Stories can start in many, many different ways, but they all make some sort of promise to the reader. As writers we need to be aware of what promises our stories are making. Does the book fulfill those promises?

So maybe the way you start your story promises it will be dark and scary, or maybe it promises it will be educational, or funny. The agent who critiqued my novel thought the first chapter promised that it was going to be a fantasy--and it really isn't. As a writer, I need to do something with that chapter to make sure it makes a promise it can fulfill. I need to change the chapter to make it clear it is realistic fiction story or problem/solution.

But I do wonder where the line is. I mean, don't you want to leave a little mystery? A little I- wonder-what-this-is-about-so-I'd-better-keep-reading-to-find-out? So it's a matter of setting it up but not giving it all away. Guess I've got a little work to do.

What promise does you first page/paragraph make?

3 comments:

Mike said...

Sarah,
My first line from Everybody Dreams is from Emma's head: This is a book of lies. It's echoed when Emma is about to meet the group and thinks "They each have a secret." I spent months searching for those two lines and I felt, once they were 'delivered', as though I'd received a gift from the gods.
Right now I'm writing a post 9/11 mystery set in Manhattan. At the moment the first line is: I come awake. It's about an awakening.
I love strong first lines.
Call me Ishmael.
In the beginning was the word.
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
Life is difficult.
You can name each of those books just from those first lines (at least, I can).
Interesting thoughts, as usual...

Mike

smcelrath said...

Hey Mike! Good to hear from you. Gotta admit, I really like the "This is a book of lies."

Strong lines are important. Here's what I have at the moment: "Dating a whole bunch of Mr. Wrongs won’t make things right." (Free Lunch)
"If something happens to me, people will want to know what and why." (Black Dragon)
And for IFFY, "In our house, Valentine's Day becomes The Day of Unrequited Expectations."

But hey, those are all subject to change.

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah and Mike;

All the first lines sound fine and interesting. I'm reminded of the first line from a story where a country school was consumed in a prairie fire in the 1800s. "A generation died here today." About says it all.

The first line has to capture the reader--to make him want to read the next and subsequently the entire story, no matter how many or few words. We need to make sure "the promise" doesn't get lost in a meandering journey, especially in a short work. That's one of the things I catch myself doing. Then I have to go back and change the beginning. Make a new "promise." Until we release the work, that is always our option.