Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tension

Today's Mood: Frustrated. Today's Music: Linkin Park, A Thousand Suns. Today's Writing: IFFY. Today's Quote:
*******
It's been a long time since I've blogged, but I want everyone to know that I am writing. I went to an awesome Fiction Critique, and I've attended a Fall Writing Retreat, and I've dragged my butt out of bed at the ungodly hour of 5:30 a.m. every week day to write. The rough draft is inching along toward completion--and I do mean inching. Wish I was a faster writer. But hey, at least I see progress. Still have that 2010 goal.

I want to write/think/contemplate/dialog about creating tension in your writing. However, tonight I don't have time so I thought I'd throw it out there, let people give me their thoughts. Then, when I have an evening where I'm not keeling over with exhaustion, I'd try to put my thoughts into words.

So what do you think? What is tension and how do you create tension in your writing?

3 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

I don't write fiction or use much dialog, but you could show tension between two characters or situation by using sarcasm in your dialog. You might also have the character recoil, flush with anger, etc. Even silence is a response that might work. Think of an ongoing argument with a spouse where the commitment makles us stay but the conflict makes everyone tense. No one wants to give in.

Glad to see the blog. And glad to hear you are fighting demons and writing.

smcelrath said...

Maybe we should define tension because I believe you can have tension in a non-fiction piece that doesn't include dialog. What makes the reader want to keep reading?

Anonymous said...

Taireeaffetly
[url=http://healthplusrx.com/cystic-fibrosis]cystic fibrosis[/url]
Rartdeakeva