Thursday, April 19, 2007

Go Tigers!

Today's Mood: Content (I found this great website that talks about moods and emotion--and has a list of positive and negative emotions which I find helpful since I'm more out-of-touch with my emotions than I thought: Mood and Emotion) Today's Music: Alison Moyet. Today's Writing: revising a short story (for the Writer's Digest Contest) Today's Quote:
Poetry lifts the veil from the hidden beauty of the world, and makes familiar
objects be as if they were not familiar.—Percy Bysshe Shelley, A Defence of Poetry (1840)

*******
I've been watching the Tigers. I say this with just a bit of reluctance first, because I am not a person who watches TV, and second because I have never been a person who pays much attention to professional sports. But the Tigers! I got hooked on them at the start of last year--and look where that led! Now that I "know" (in a very limited capacity mind you) the players--what awesome stories there are each game. Will Inge climb out of his slump? Will Kenny Rogers ever pitch again? Can Verlander pitch a shut out game? I'm developing an addiction.

The other cool thing about baseball is that I can do other things and still watch (or listen) and get most of it. That's a good thing when one has small children and cats and a husband and a house with way too much crap in it.

Check out the new link under the favorite links site on the left-hand side. Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips to Clean Up Your Writing. This has some cool (and helpful) podcasts about different grammar issues. Like vs. As, Run On Sentences...

2 comments:

mike stratton said...

Sarah,

Well, I think you've got the hook on sports - it's stories and personalities. The best times I've had with (watching) sports has involved an engaging story line and powerful personalities. The Tigers are perfect in that aspect. Where were you, by the way, in '84, or, God forbid, '68? I remember both of those teams and remember the nuns rolling a black and white tv into the classroom so we could watch Denny McLaine pitch against Bob Gibson in an afternoon(!) World Series game.

Writing - still dusting off the third draft of my novel. One past chair of the MSU English department has read it and said he enjoyed it a lot - more than he thought he might. High praise from a guy who has Richard Ford and Jim Harrison on his rolodex. I'm elated.

Mike
today's listening: Aimee Mann, Al Green, Prince, Madonna (okay - it's a mix CD)

smcelrath said...

Mike--Didn't have a tv in 84 and was born in 68, so needless to say, I wasn't watching at that time.

That's awesome news on your novel! Start working on that query letter and synopsis. Get it out there dude!

I love hearing (seeing) what music other people are listening to. I get bored with my same old, same old.