Monday, April 9, 2007

Spring--not hardly

Today's Mood: Preoccupied. Today's Music: U2--at the moment. Today's writing: research for IFFY. Today's Quote:
Originality is not seen in single words or even sentences. Originality is the
sum total of a man's thinking or his writing. Isaac Bashevis Singer, New York Times Magazine, Mar. 12, 1978US (Polish-born) Jewish author (1904 - 1991)
*******
Hello all! Just got back from Georgia and what a climate shock! I felt like I was coming back to Christmas, not Easter. At least I don't mind being back at work--other than the early morning thing.

I have to be honest and admit I didn't write even one word during vacation. I read two books though. Good stuff. King of the Pygmies and Cage of Stars. Both deal with schizophrenia. I had no idea there could be very mild cases that are manageable without meds. Of course, Cage of Stars showed the other end of the spectrum--murder.

Have any of you set up writing as a business? You know, there are things I could write off--conferences, mailings....--but of course, I have no way of knowing when I'll actually sell any of my writing. I've got two novels I'm sending out hither and yon, but as we all know, it could take awhile to get published. But it doesn't really seem fair that you can only write off expenses for the year you get published--I mean, come on! It takes all those prior mailings to get there.

What do you do? How long can a business show a loss before the IRS gets annoyed? I mean, yes, it is a hobby, but I do hope to sell something someday--not that I'm in it for the money. I've read enough to know better.

Oh, and how's the writing going? I have small group tonight and I'm excited. Hope it helps get me going again. I'm stuck in a quagmire of do I totally change the trigger event for my story because it isn't very original, or do I just go with it.

7 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

I claim any income made from writing and write off all my expenses: PW dues, conferences, equipment, miles traveled, hunting and fishing licenses, books, etc. My goal is to basically break even. Some years I make money and others I lose. I think you need to make money at least every three years. I just use the business tax form when I file.

Anonymous said...

I got a "clip." I wrote up an article for our Rally of Writers (this Saturday, 4/14, visit www.arallyofwriters.com for details) and got it into at least 2 editions of the Ingham County News papers. No pay, but an official "sale." --Mark

smcelrath said...

Mark--that is awesome! Tricia is always talking about getting clips--it's like putting together a portfolio isn't it? I remember my art student suitemate doing that back in college.

Larry--I guess I'm scared it might take even longer than 3 years to sell a novel. I know, what happened to the power of positive thinking eh? But somewhere along the line there is realism as well. Dang it!

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

Can you check with a tax consultant? He or she might shed some light on the subject. I don't make a living from writing--unless you want to live on the street. But I also don't want to pay tax on basically a hobby.

smcelrath said...

Larry--Yeah, I'll check with the person who does my taxes. I'm in the same boat. I'm not planning on making writing my career, but I don't want to be socked with extra taxes if I do make some money--especially when we all know how much money we spend in effort to get something published!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I not only have a clip, I was told yesterday I'm the president of the group that sponsors A Rally of Writers. Came as a surprise to me. (It's a very informal group, I happen to hold the keys to our meeting room.) I guess I'll add that to my resume. --M

smcelrath said...

Mark--don't you love it when you're the last to find out. And that answers my question about what it takes to be President--you just have to have the keys to the meeting room! :)