Thursday, March 29, 2007

Details

Today's Mood: relaxed. Today's Music: Ray LaMontagne--Till the Sun Turns Black. Today's Writing: Synopsis for IFFY--technically it is a plot outline for me since I'm writing it before I write the book. Today's Quote:
"Writing a synopsis does not mean you have to throw yourself into a tar pit
before you roll in the feathers." -Beth Anderson


*******
I went to my daughter's Parent-Teacher conference last night. She does very well when it comes to reading and writing, but--the teacher pointed out--she needs to work on capitalization and punctuation. Now, understand that my daughter knows very well how to use capitals and proper punctuation; she just doesn't want to be bothered with the details. This doesn't come as a surprise to me--I see that in other places as well (including cleaning her room). But it did make me stop and think. I also don't like to bother with the little details. Details like finding out the name of a person to whom I can address my query letter. Sending out reminder postcards when I haven't heard from a publisher in what is now eight months. Thank-you notes for those editors who took the time to write an encouraging personal note at the bottom of the form rejection. Even details like sending a manuscript--or short story, or essay--out again, and again, and again.

A few days ago I was all set to send out two copies of my Black Dragon manuscript. Then I heard that the price of a stamp was going up. Of course, I had already enclosed my SASE and sealed up the whole package. I was so tempted just to send it--I mean, come on! They could afford to throw a two cent stamp on it, couldn't they? And how could they expect me to consider that ahead of time?

In the end I opened everything up and hauled out the SASE and put a two cent stamp on it. Details. What is the old saying? The devil's in the details? Something like that. I wish I could just concentrate on the story--but I suppose I must deal with the details as well.

What details are driving you crazy? Anyone hear about those life-long stamps? Stamps that are good even if the price goes up?

***On a side note, I found on of those links on the site that Karen mentioned to be a wonderful help. I am working on writing a synopsis for the book I recently started, and Beth Anderson's article on how to write a tight synopsis has given me a step-by-step guide. I found out that part of my problem has been that I don't really know what I am writing--what the main focus of the book is going to be--journey to self-acceptance or romance. Makes a big difference.

3 comments:

mike stratton said...

Sarah,

Ah, details, details. A number of years ago I heard about a suite in Las Vegas that came with a staff of 7. I came up with the insight that this is what I needed in my life - a secretary, a cook, a maid, a trainer, a coach, a masseuese (? maybe a spell checker, too...).

I like the big idea. I have a few of those a day. Like moving to the northwest, or booking a tour for people to hear my great thoughts.

Laundry, not so much.

The good news - I've put my novel into print, 4 copies - one for family, one for friends, one for writing buds and one for me. This is manuscript form, but it made me giddy to fill up the binders I chose, and to cut out the pictures from old calenders as the covers. I feel, now, like I've really written a book. It needs work.

I'll have to find a place on my staff for somebody to attend to it.

Mike
today's listening: Cannonball Adderly

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

You did just the right thing by attaching the correct postage, even though the editor will never know you had to unwrap your manuscript. Think what his thoughts would be if you just assumed he would add the extra postage. It shows you care and act in a professional manner.

Someone once said, "The story's in the details." Think how lame literature would be without those imagae-painting details.

smcelrath said...

Mike--you are so on to something! I would love to have a secretary, a cook, a maid.... Maybe I just need a wife? Okay, sorry, joke got away from me there. : )

So cool to see your novel in print isn't it? Are those your "readers" that you are giving it to? I remember waiting in agony for my readers to get back to me. When it took them awhile I had to keep reassuring myself that they were busy and it wasn't just because they were afraid to tell me how bad it was. Are you coming up to Glen Lake this summer?

Larry--I think you're right. It probably was worth doing. Still.... I could use an agent.