Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Query, synopsis, and cover letter--oh my!

Today's Mood: fair to middling. Today's Music: Foo Fighters (although, maybe it should be something like Bang Your Head) Today's Writing: Cover letter for Black Dragon. Today's Quote:
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it." -Jane Wagner


*******
When I finished revising my first novel (for the zillionth time), I still remember thinking I had finished the hard part. Wrong. Oh so wrong! Then came writing the query letter, the synopsis, the cover letter. Why it is harder to write a 400 page book in 5 pages is one of the mysteries in life--but it is, trust me.

And then there is the figuring out all the ins-and-outs of the publishing business. What happens when Writer's Market says a company doesn't take SIMULTANEOUS submissions, but that same company's website says it doesn't accept MULTIPLE submissions? Not the same thing, but which one should I go by?

I received another form rejection yesterday--from a publisher that said it didn't respond AT ALL unless they wanted to publish the manuscript. It had an encouraging hand-written note at the bottom, and they had paid the postage to send it to me, but then the signature was unreadable. So okay, I've been told by writers far more professional than me that I should refer to that hand-written note when sending my next manuscript to them. I looked at all the names in Writer's Market and on the website--can't find a one that looks even close to what's on the note. I called the company, and after being shuffled around six or seven times, the mail room guy told me just to send the note itself with the next manuscript. Sigh. I'm trying to make connections, really I am. But it sure isn't easy.

Anyway, what about you all? Sending things out? Want to rant about writing queries, synopsises, cover letters? Any publishing frustrations? Or is life all roses for everyone except for me? (Ha-I don't believe you!)

7 comments:

mike stratton said...

Sarah,

I'm at the earliest stage of this process. Psychologically I'm living in the thought that the book was worth writing regardless of the outcome. I'm hoping, however, for the best. If anyone knows of any agents, let me know.

Today's listening: Billie Holiday

Mike

smcelrath said...

Mike--I decided to try publishers first. I did send to one agent, but only because I knew someone who knew him. He sent a very nice rejection letter. At this stage--as in, unpublished--I tend to think it is just as hard to get an agent as it is a publisher, but I don't know.

I do know that there are some good books out there--and that you want to make sure you get a reputable agent.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, agent v. publisher. Equally impossible in my experience. I'd like an agent just so I wouldn't have to do the self-promotion thing. Hate it, no good at it. I like to stumble onto books similar to what I'm trying to write, then try to track down the editor at the publisher-- and usually said publisher won't take any unsolicited submissions, queries, sample chapters, emails, phone calls, nada, so there ya go. I even know of at least one agent whose motto is "leave me alone."

That said.... good luck with those queries!!!

--Mark

mike stratton said...

I've been using a book, "Author 101; Bestselling Secrets From Top Agents", by Fishman & Freedman Spitzman, as a source for my search. It's interesting and explores 'why an agent' vs. 'why not' and other issues.

Mike

smcelrath said...

Sigh, I just received another rejection yesterday--a you didn't win from the Delacorte Press contest. 2nd novel. Both novels rejected in less than a week. Boy does it dent one's self-esteem!

Nonetheless, I have a wonderful 1 page query for Black Dragon all set to go out to two different publishers. And I'm working on turning my 1 page plot summary into some kind of query letter for Free Lunch.

Keep on, keeping on. Feel the power--or was it feel the burn? Whatever. You can't win if you don't play.

Karen L. Simpson said...

Writing the synopsis was one of the hardest thing I had to do for my novel.


I found a good website for synopsis.

http://www.charlottedillon.com/synopsis.html


Karen Simpson

smcelrath said...

Karen--Thanks so much for that great link! I put it on the favorite links spot. I found a couple of articles that not only will help me writing a synopsis for my second novel--but will also help create a plot outline for my third.