Thursday, March 15, 2007

Eagle Spotting

Today's Mood: Bogged down (with news of the war in Iraq, with tiredness, with doubts about my writing, with my job....) Today's Music: Complete library on shuffle. (I'm hoping something inspires me.) Today's writing: Blog, and journaling chapter four of IFFY (I hand write when I need to get rid of internal editors) Today's Quote:
Searching is half the fun: Life is much more manageable when thought of as a
scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffet


********
I saw an eagle flying over Spring Lake yesterday on my way home from work. I had been dealing with the most frustrating part of my job all afternoon, and was driving home getting irritated at every idiot who drove too slow and every asshole who drove too fast. Then I noticed the eagle gliding above, highlighted against a patch of blue sky. The sun was spotlighting the white head and tail, and it was gliding back and forth--most likely hunting. I couldn't help but think how different things must look from that distance. Most of my frustrations could be put into perspective, just a small dot in a much larger picture.

What things help you gain perspective when something in your life or writing isn't working?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The switch in perspective is all too rare, but startling in its effectiveness when we encounter it. I am frequently stunned when one of my students makes a connection that shows me a completely new way to see literature or humor or whatever. Far too often I see my students as the proverbial sheep, chewing away where I have lead them. But when one rears back and tries an avenue I've never followed or seen; well, I'm getting my metaphors bogged down here, but I cherish the moments even when they make me feel foolish.

What is the worst part of your job? Dealing with parents used to be mine. Thank goodness that's not an issue with the college classes!

--Wrytor

smcelrath said...

The worst part of my job is paperwork. I'm not big into the anal details of cataloging, labeling, and processing books. I'm not excited about pursuing overdue materials either--but hey, it's got to be done.

And there is hope. I was a decent writer back in high school and college, but even so, I wouldn't have gone out on a limb if I thought it might get me a bad grade. That's the joy of being out of school. Now I can explore all I want--granted, I might not get published! Thank goodness for day jobs.

~Tricia said...

Perspective?? Lately I have been trying to look at my life as travelling on a train - and more specifically "what" train am I on.

When things get crazy and I'm feeling overwhelmed, I know that I'm on the "frantic" train. It makes me pause, because I really want to be on the other train - the one that is more relaxed, looking out the window, getting to the same place but enjoying the ride.

Surprisingly, it seems to be working for me. Mostly because it does make me stop and think and make that choice. It doesn't change the fact that life is always busy & crazy - but reminds me that I need to make the choice during those times of what train I'm riding.

Might sound kindof crazy - but if it works - then crazy is good!!!

Thanks for maintaining this blog, Sarah. You really are an awesome person!

~Tricia

outdoorwriter said...

I take walks on our land. I marvel at plants that jusr grow without my help: butterfly milkweed, redtop, a native grass, cardinal flowers around the vernal pond, morel mushrooms, violets, spring beauties, buttercup, and Turk cap lillies. Last night two bluebirds flitted about, tellin me it's time to clean their nest boxes. Sometimes I look up at the sky and wish I knew more constellations. A couple mornings ago, a orange-gold crescent moon looked to be sitting atop our neighbors tree. An hour later, as it rose in the sky, the magic changed. Spring and summer mornings, I take my tea to the deck and listen to Nature awaken. Or watch the setting sun flame the woodlot's horizon. Alkways there's something to be found in my travels.

outdoorwriter said...

Is any one else having trouble? I keep getting a message pwblogspot can't be found.