Monday, July 16, 2007

Submerging

Today's Mood: Contented (Forget-me-not blue) Today's Music: Maroon 5- Songs about Jane. Today's Writing: just getting started--chapter 7. Today's Quote:
"Sitting alone in a room and concentrating hard and wisely and well on your book is fragile. .... Writing demands a very precise state of mind, and it's not easy to get into (the daily habit is the only thing that makes writing a little bit easier)." - Heather Sellers in Chapter after Chapter

*******
I'm back from camping, sitting in front of my computer trying to get back into IFFY. The camping was relaxing--a little rain and definitely not beach weather, but still, we hiked and fished and enjoyed great food around the campfire. The problem is, I got out of the writing water. And unfortunately, once I'm out, it's harder to get back in. So, how do I not only get back into the pool, but also fully submerge myself so the writing comes from the deep part of my mind?

I know different writers write differently, but I find it much easier to stay at least partly in the water--keep the story brewing in my mind, and deliberately think about it several times a day. That way when I do have time to write, it's much easier to go under.

But now I've been out of the water for four days. I did try to draw another picture of Jane, but then the kids started fighting over the colored pencils and my oldest had a fit about her picture not being 'good enough'. She wanted me to draw her picture for her--which I pointed out would make it my picture and not hers. That was a minor point in her mind. In the end, we quit drawing and went hiking instead.

So I desperately need to get back in. I put on Songs about Jane. I touch my big toe in by putting words down on this blog. But I think I just have to dive in--otherwise it'll take all day and by then my kids will be coming home.

Okay, so here I go. And for future reference, how do YOU get back into writing?

4 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

Welcome back! It's been too quiet since you've been gone. No one blogging.

I have been fighting this same demon--getting back into writing--for several weeks if not months. The ideas seem to be there, but when I sit down to write, my motivation evaporates. I seem to have forgotten why I started writing in the first place, thinking more if there's no market, why bother.The blogs have been my salvation.

I have always had a deep sympathy for the Indians and the way we basically screwed them over. HBO's "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" really drove the point home for me. To watch this once proud, nomadic people humiliated to reservation life made me ashamed. Today their fate is destitution and alchoholism. Suicides are common in young people due to dispair. We have basically forgotten them. Technically, they own the Black Hills by treaty. I am impressed with their pride over a financial settlement, which is miniscule compared to the minerals we stole from them.

So to get back into writing, I am puting my thoughts down just for me. Maybe you could do the same with highlights of your camping trip or the big one that got away.

smcelrath said...

Hey Larry-- good to hear from a writer! I'm feeling like the lonely writer locked in her garrison (or basement in this case). You'd laugh if you saw the fish my kids were catching: minnows, 2 inch perch and a few small pumpkin seed sunfish. My youngest caught a decent size sunfish, but that was it. Didn't matter though; they were just happy catching something.

I do have to remind myself that I write because I love to--not because it is going to be published. That way, there is no loss if I don't get published (a girl can dream though!). I'm just having a horrid time getting back into the novel I'm working on. I'll post more on that and you'll understand part of the problem.

It would be interesting to see you do something with this interest in the Native American peoples. I, for one, don't know a whole lot about the settlements or treaties that were established. Go with your passion.

outdoorwriter said...

Your girls will have arrived as real fishermen or is that fisherwomen when the take delight in not catching anything. Some of my best days astream or afield I never caught a fish or killed anything--sometime never even saw anything. It gives me time alone with my thoughts and just to marvel at all the other treasures Nature offers.

I'll follow my passion--it may only be for a very select and trusted readership. Putting you heart and passions out for the world is too emotional.

On to your new blog.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah,

I'm glad you got a chance to go camping. I know how much work it is, but what great memories for your kids.

As far as getting back into the story you're writing, I can't help you there. I think it's something every writer experiences. I remember something Chris H. says she does, and it has worked for me in the past...take a paragraph from the previous chapter and just start typing and retyping it until something comes, and then go with that.

When you get a minute, will you resend me the sign-on info for the blog so I can add a couple of my own? I tried to log in, but I think the log-on info is an old e-mail address and I can't remember what that might be.

DJW