Monday, July 23, 2007

The uneducated shall pay

Today's Mood: Grim. Today's Music: ummm... I listened to Sarah Maclachan in the car today. Today's Writing: comments on the MacRumors forum. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=332970.)Today's Quote: "Honestly, $350 is more than your ibook is even worth. I shudder to think of what you may have paid for it 4 months ago. Whatever you paid, it wasn't a good purchase. No warranty (3 months is NO warranty), no support, no help, only a guy who wants to repeatedly take advantage of you." -GTiPhone on MacRumors Forum 7/23/07

*******

I decided to educate myself before buying or repairing my laptop. I can't say I like what I find. In fact, I find out that I've been taken advantage of--and it's really my fault for being an uneducated, trusting consumer. Sigh. I do so like to believe people are being fair. I mean, I expect to pay for a laptop. I know the guy needs to make a living. But when I go on the internet and do some reading, I find out most places give a year warranty for a refurbished machine--not 3 months. And I find that most people think $350 dollars to replace a hard drive is pretty expensive.

(Two days later)
I've just come back from a confrontation with the Mac Exchange guy. He doesn't feel like he has taken advantage of me. He says he has never lied to me. And technically, he hasn't. But I still feel you can lie by omission. His higher prices he justifies by saying that he has given me all kinds of udated software. Of course, he never asked if I even wanted it--so some of it just sits on my computer and I never even use it.

He said he'd put in a new hard drive for $150. And I agreed. My husband is mad that I'm giving the guy another chance and more money--and I'm not totally sure I made the right decision, but I guess there is a part of me that wants to end things neatly. Because this will be the end. I will not go to him again, nor will I recommend him to anyone.

I have a headache and I haven't written (other than Mac Forum stuff) for days. I just want a computer that works. Is that too much to ask?

4 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

I share your value that most people are honest. We've all been shafted in some way at some time. If someone you hasn't they don't trust people very much. I would probably do as you; give the guy another chance, but not go back.

I had a simlilar experience with a tow-truck. He charged me $90.00 to haul my truck three miles down the road to a repair shop. Won't call him again either. And worse, the garage didn't fix the problem. The truck quit in my yard requiring another tow to another garage. Truck's been running fine since.

Am taking your advice and looking into Indian treaties. One case leads to the U.S. Constitution or another case or the Supreme Court. Fascinating to follow no matter what the opinion of the validity of treaties today.

smcelrath said...

Hey Larry- yeah, I like to think most people are honest. And I also like to think I'm not a totally guillable idiot. In this case, I ended out cutting my loses and picked up my laptop. I went with Ams Tsd in Grand Rapids who said they could put in a new hard drive for $120 ( and do it while I wait). I feel so much better just getting out of there. I'm going to write a letter to Apple though--giving them the facts and letting them decide if they want to endorse this guy on their website.

Good to hear you are following up the indian treaties. The U.S. Constitution and the Supream Court, huh? Sounds interesting to me.

Gloria Klinger said...

Hey Sarah,
Don't beat yourself up over not researching before you buy. Who has time to do that? Kids, family obligation, work, writing. Too many pulls on our time.

I hope your "new" repaired computer works perfectly for the next 3 years and beyond. Just keep backing up those file! In case.

smcelrath said...

Gloria--you remembered your password! You go girl. And thanks for a wonderful group last night.