Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Cliches

Today's Mood: Content. Today's Music: Rob Thomas--Something to be. Today's Writing: revising Free Lunch--I'm working on chapter 3. Today's Quote:

"I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult." Rita Rudner (I know--it doesn't have anything to do with writing. I just liked it.)

*******

Does anyone know any good sites (or books for that matter) for cliches, their origins and what they mean? I am using cliches in the novel I'm working on and I wanted to find the origin of with friends like that, who needs enemies? I've got the The Facts on File Dictionary of Cliches--but it doesn't have that particular saying.

Revising reminds me of putting a puzzle together. I have the work in front of me, but now I need to figure out how it should be put together. So I'm shuffling words and sentences here, and then there, and all the while having great fun. Writing is different--still wonderful, but more agonizing, like I'm drawing the words out of my guts rather than rearranging them on the page (or in my brain for that matter).

Oh my, I can't wait for Glen Lake and time to write, write, write and eat and breath and sleep and dream writing! I want to talk to other writers, and more than anything else I want to let that part of me--that writer part--be. Just be. Without excuses. Without doubts.

4 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

Try Brewers Book of Quotes. I googled your phrase. Try that too, if you haven't already.

smcelrath said...

Thanks! I'll try both.

Mark Wolfgang said...

Dang. I wish I was going to Glen Lake. --Mark

smcelrath said...

Why aren't you? Can't get the time off? And btw, how's the writing going? Are you working on the sci-fi novel you started at khardomah? Wasn't it you that said something about words adding up into a novel--as long as you kept adding some words every day? I think of that now and then when I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere.

We'll miss you up at Glen.