Thursday, September 13, 2007

Revision or Rewriting?

Today's Mood: Grateful. Today's Music: The Muse--Black Holes and Revelations. Today's Writing: Finished revising (re-writing?) chapter one of Free Lunch. Today's Quote:
There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. -W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965)
*******

What is the difference between revising and plain, old re-writing? Is there like a percentage or something? Like, if you change more than half the characters/plot then it is re-writing? Or are they the same thing?

I've read through my manuscript and, of course, thought it needed massive amounts of changing to make it acceptable. So I started revising. But you know, essentially I'm writing a different story. I mean, there are a million ways to tell a story. How do I know which one is best? And what's best anyway? Most likely to get published, most acceptable to Mom? In the end I'm trying to go with writing the one I am most satisfied with. The story I want to tell.

And to do that I have to change a number of things. Bam things up a bit (as Emmeril would say.) Exaggerate some of the things that are already there in order to draw them out.

All I can say is, it's getting me out of bed at 5:30 a.m. Excited to go write (even if I'm not excited to get up--and, for that matter, even if I'm not really awake yet.) And for me, that's the way writing should be. Something to be looked forward to (except for when it's not : 0)

I'm looking forward to the fall conference at Glen Lake. Of course, I had hoped to be done revising and on to working on that 3rd manuscript. Ha. Not bloody likely. Oh well. It will all be done in it's own time. At the moment, it's all good.

3 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

Like a dog trainer I know cautions, "You can't make any mistakes by going too slow and it takes as long as it takes."

I have a few pieces I pull out and dust off from time to time, adding a sentence or two here and there. Sometimes things just don't come together. One piece, I have a great title--well at least good--but have yet to write the first sentence. Just can't find the right lead. Other times I have a good lead but no title. In time it will all get written if it's worth writing.

I read somewhere that we really write for ourselves first. You're right on to tell your story your way. if we don't please ourselves how can we please anyone else?

smcelrath said...

Yeah, I've learned the hard way that it is better not to rush things. It's just that I have this other novel I want to work on too--and that camping essay, and other essays.--and there just isn't enough time in my day. But oh well, it will all come in its time, I suppose.

And yeah, I've been enjoying things more now that I am just working at pleasing myself with my writing instead of worrying about what "might" be published.

Less than two weeks til Glen!

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

Good for you! Glad you're enjoying your writing more. When I wrote my column, I could have written how-to or where-to pieces--well not exactly because I don't know how or where. But for me that's not important; what I experience in being outdoors is. It's easier to write about a breath-taking sunrise, the plaintive barking of a flock of Canadas, or the birds-in-every-direction, explosive flush of a quail covey than it is to talk about it. Fortunately, every once in a while, I'd hit a special spot in someone else who was perhaps less comfortable with their feelings. That made it even more worth while.

Two weeks!!! Wow!! I'm really looking forward to Glen Lake.