Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Depressed

Today's Mood: Negative. Today's Music: Matchbox 20: You or someone like you. Today's Writing: Revising chapter 9--well, writing another scene for ch. 9. Today's Quote: (Two for today since the last post didn't have one.)
In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
Johann von Neumann (1903 - 1957)

If only we'd stop trying to be happy we could have a pretty good time.
Edith Wharton (1862 - 1937)
*******
I made the mistake yesterday of reading the paper. Sigh. After an article about this horrible killer who is due to get out of jail, I read another article about the new Michigan laws that have teachers paying more of their health insurance as well as opening up MESSA (group insurance) documentation so that other health insurance companies can "cherry pick" the districts with healthier clients and offer lower rates. That leaves the rest of the districts paying more for their health insurance. There is something to be said for ignorance is bliss, at least it is up until you get slammed (or as another cliche would say: until the shit hits the fan.)

And now I'm sitting here watching a student teach his young brother? son? how to play a game on the computer in which a gun man (bank robber it looks like) shoots children. The children are supposed to try to tackle the gunman. What's up with that? I want to go over there and tell him little kids shouldn't be playing games like that. That there has to be a game on the computer that has some value. Something worth spending time learning.

Ah, if only the world ran according to me. Of course, then it would be all my fault when the whole thing blew up. So forget that idea.

And the final damper to my mood was when I read one of my favorite author blogs and found her dissing another author. The blog was going on about how that author wrote every stupid thing the characters said to each other. Every detail. And how utterly boring that was to read. And then of course I get thinking--bad thing that thinking stuff can be. I've got to quit that. Maybe there is a program out there to help me quit thinking. A seven step thing. It probably starts with "watch television during the mid afternoon when there is nothing but soap operas and kids shows on." Anyway, I get thinking about how sucky my writing is. I hate it when I feel that way.

Oh well. Hopefully tonight I get to work on my novel and try to make sure I only have the characters say important things. Shit.

So what's bugging you today?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some days are like that. We just think too much and we end up in a downward spiral. Sorry to hear, Sarah, you're in the midst of a buggy day. May tomorrow be bug-free.

Know what's bugging me? That I can't say everything I want to say on my corporate blog because the topic is selling. Know what else is bugging me? That I read between the lines of emails, especially ones from guys ... and because there's often nothing there, I catastrophize and create something, that, of course, is discouraging or degrading or depressing. Ah! The D words bug me, too. They're everywhere. Disheartening, dissolving, disturbing. SO ... let's think of P words. Powerful, postive, purposeful, perfect, perky, productive. Yep. That's better.

Anyway, I don't mean to minimalize your feelings of disappointment and annoyance ... they're real and I am sorry you're feeling that way. However, I will NOT listen to you talk about your writing not being any good.

You are a fine writer who has much to say ... and young adults will benefit from reading your work. They will be entertained, educated, and enlightened. So, keep going. Don't give up. Take it one word at a time, one paragraph at at a time, one page at a time, one chapter at a time. Before you know it, the rewrite will be completed.

So, what's the cliche for Chapter 9?

Write on, my friend.
sjw

smcelrath said...

Ah, you made me smile. The "p" words. I like that. I shall think on those. And I know, some days are like that. It's just... a mood. A phase I would say if my kids were going through it. I can relate to the tendency to read between the lines, even to the extent of creating things if there is nothing there. And why is it that the things we create are always "d" words and not "p" words?

The cliche for ch. 9 is "To walk in someone's shoes." But I think I need to insert a whole chapter there--so that cliche will actually be for chapter 10. (If I even keep ch. 10) Then 9 will be something to do with habits. Old habits die hard? I'll have to think about it. Guess I'd better write the chapter first though.

Thanks for the up-lift--the push, the propellant, the prop, the ...I can't think of any more--up. I needed it. And good advice. One word, one paragraph, one page at a time.

Happy "p" words to you too.

outdoorwriter said...

Too many days are like that! What ever happened to Mario? The "games" and movies just get more violent. Is that where society is heading? What kind of adults will these kids grow up to be? It's hard to stay positive every day.

I take walks. I look at some of the large, old oaks in our woodlot. At one time, our woods may have been an oak savannah, an ecosystem that is a mix of native grasses and a few trees. Today it is one of the rarest. I rejoice in discovering bittersweet vines. I plan projects, like prescribed burns and plan timber stand improvements, like thinning. I come in full of hope.

Cheer up, Sarah. Today or tomorrow will be better. You're a excellent writer. Find your secret place and go for it.