Friday, October 19, 2007

Fantastic ways to waste time

Today's Mood: Contemplative. Today's Music: My Morning Jacket. Today's Writing: drawing characters from IFFY. Today's Quote:
"A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad
novel tells us the truth about its author."G. K. Chesterton
*******
I got so sick of being on chapter nine of Free Lunch that I am boycotting it this week. I've been spending my writing time drawing pictures of my characters for IFFY. I felt like I was hammering away at that chapter and not even making a dent. So I'm hoping that time away (a week) will knock something loose and when I sit down next Monday, it will come a little easier--or at least I won't be so sick of it. If the front door is locked, go try the back door. Who knows?

At least I'm getting a better and better feel for my IFFY characters. And maybe I'm even getting better at drawing. I feel like a one year old learning to walk. I can picture what I want to draw in my head, but my body--hands--don't quite do what I want. Very frustrating. But, I tell myself, that's what erasers are for.
What have you all been up to? Any writing going on?

4 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

I've been fighting with my computer and aol lately. Some days works fine, other days zip. And when you call you get either a computer to talk to or some foreigner that barely speaks English.

I've been writing some and thinking about my story--pre writing in my mind. I see the ideas, but getting that first line and a story line eludes me. I need to just jump in somewhere--anywhere--and write. In November a guy from the DNR is coming out to see if we have remnants of an oak savannah--one of the rarest habitats in the world. If so, and I decide to try to restore it, I'll need to do lots of thinking. All my brush and trees, except the huge ones will have to go so that grass can grow.

Mostly, I'm planning for my trip to Kansas. Images of undulating grasses fill my head and somewhere in it all, Jenny, my setter, is on point like a stone sculpture. Hunkered in the grass is a gaudy rooster pheasant that erupts as I walk in.

We learned yesterday that we have failed as parents. Our son, who is studying chemical engineering at MSU, informed us after graduation he's planning to go to Harvard or Yale law school. Where did we go wrong? He wants to study Constitutional law and perhaps one day argue a case before the Supreme Court. He's an "over achiever" so there's no doubt he will do it.

Keep writing everyone.

smcelrath said...

Larry-

Congratulations on your son. You have done a fine job. Personally, I'm thinking any kid who makes it through the teen years even slightly normal (normal in the sense of being able to cope with daily life) is doing okay.

And yes, JUST JUMP IN and write. Worry about the first line later. Granted, I say that and then agonize over the same thing! It seems like I have to get that first line, but really it is the voice I think I'm fretting over. Somehow that is tied to the first line for me.

But do as I say not as I do.

outdoorwriter said...

Thanks, Sarah.

Aaron graduated from East Kentwod with a 4.22--he took a few AP classes which boosted his GPA, not to mention getting him into State as almost a sophomore.

The scary part is, his sister Kyra has a 4.056 (Jr. at EKHS)and is planning to take more AP classes than Aaron!! She want to study astrophysics.

And I will jump in and write.

outdoorwriter said...

This is way off the subject, but I know a couple of guys and their families through another blog/forum that are right in the middle of the California fires. One is okay, the other we're not sure. Keep them, and all the folks affected, in your thoughts and prayers, if you are so inclined.