Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Snowstorm Observations

Today's Mood: Content. Today's Music: right now it is just the wind howling outside my bedroom window. Today's Writing: bit of poetry, bit of description. Today's Quote:
Why worry now? (bit of a song by Dire Straits. Great stuff)

*******
I had the day off today. School cancelled–and thankfully this time it was BEFORE I got out of bed. I went out to shovel and it was just like I remember from when I was a kid. (I was going to call it the old days–but that would mean I'm old.) The snow was burying the steps it was so deep. It was that beautiful fluffy kind of snow, each snowflake a separate crystal, not of that wet, mush. Of course, by the time I was done shoveling the drive, even light crystals seemed like lot of work to scoop up and throw. But I enjoyed it.

I need to remember that sometimes even things that seem like work can be enjoyable. My Mary Monologue piece has seemed like work, but if I just sit down and have at it, I will enjoy the process of writing. I always do. I just don't always seem to remember that when I am trying to get myself to sit down and write.

Having a large chunk of time helps. I'm looking forward to Khardomah. But in the meantime, I'll make the most of what I have. Something is better than nothing (except for maybe when it comes to snow.)

I watched the birds at the feeder today. It gave me some great images for a poem I was working on. (Talk about playing with the little time you have! I wrote it on Sunday when I was paying attention to the church sermon of course.)

Okay. I titled this snowstorm observations and I don't have a great deal of observations so here goes: there is never a perfect time for anything. Enjoy the moment. (evidently the birds do.) Um, get enough sleep. (that's always big for me--course it helps when I get a snow day!) And quit whining. (Again, after a day off with kids, that sentence comes natural.)

And last of all, when the wine runs out–so does the post.

3 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

After I braved the roads and maniacs to get to work, my boss's wife says, "I'm surprised you came in." I sure thought about staying home. Would have if I'd known I could.

I took the tractor up the drive--I don't shovel the 1,000 feet, I pack it down--after work. With the cold, it's firmly frozen. Really having fun with that old tractor.

I love the way snow, in quantity, looks before anyone makes tracks in it. Our "back yard" gets crisscrossed with turkey tracks. Had about a dozen male cardinals at the feeder the other day. Way cool. They sure stand out against the snow.

Have a nice fire going in the wood stove--it has a glass door so you get all the romance of a fireplace but a lot more efficiency. One of the dogs is always sprawled in front of the stove.

See you at Khardoma.

smcelrath said...

Looks like we are due for more lake effect out here. I even postponed writing group. That strech by Coopersville is nasty when it's snowing and the wind is blowing.

We had a pair of Pileated (spelling?) Woodpeckers on the suet feeder a few days ago. Now that was quite the sight!

And right about now, a wood stove or fireplace sounds divine!

outdoorwriter said...

Pileated woodpeckers are so cool! I've seen their oblong excavations in our woods, but never have seen them here. We get red-bellied woodpeckes at the feeder along with the downy and hairy.

Last night, had a just-right fire going and watched it snow. Our stove is flanked on each side by a large west-facing window. All the bushes, trees, and shrubs were drenched in lace. Throw in a few cardinals for color and it was delightful. Made me feel poetic. "Whose woods these are I think I know ...."