Friday, February 22, 2008

Know when to walk away

Today's Mood: a fragile sense of calm. Today's Music: Loreena McKennitt--The Visit (just got it for my birthday!) Today's Writing: blog (and looking over what I've got so far in IFFY) Today's Quote:
In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. -Charlie Brown

*******
How do you know when something isn't working? When something isn't worth pursuing more because it will never be publishable material?

I'm at a bit of a crossroads--in terms of my writing anyway. I spent a good amount of the fall revising Free Lunch. Then I stopped that to work on revising Black Dragon to meet contest requirements. After I sent off that manuscript, I worked on a Mary Monologue for a few weeks. Until my life became a whole lot busier because we started play practice. All of a sudden I was playing costume designer, set painter, and something like mom/director/teacher/big sister to about 30 middle school students. Not a whole lot of time left for writing, so it was mostly poetry and stuff for my writing class. Somewhere in there I spent a week working on a grant, and managed to squeak that in just under the wire. And last night we managed to pull the play off--with scarcely a hitch. The students did a marvelous job remembering lines and we even managed to have everyone dressed fairly appropriately for the late 1800's.

SOoooo, now I'm looking at how I want to spend my writing time in the next few months (or hopefully, until I hear an editor wants me to get Black Dragon ready for publication!). I could go back to Free Lunch, but I wonder if it is worth it. Don't get me wrong, I think it is an okay story--a YA love/growing up story--but I'm not sure if it has enough to distinguish it in an already swollen field. How do you know? My readers liked the plot well enough, although I did/do need to make some revisions. I guess a big part of my... dilemma is that I have IFFY sitting there patiently waiting to get written, and it seems I always need to put it off because I have revisions to do on the other two novels. Now if I was a full time writer.... but realistically, with only an hour a day, I can't be revising and writing a new novel at the same time. It just isn't feasible.

[time lapse of a few hours] Okay, so I've been thinking and decided to use March to pound out a shitty first draft of IFFY. Then I can put it away for some breathing room and finish revising Free Lunch. Hopefully I can finish those revisions and get back to IFFY in June at Glen Lake. I always like to give myself a deadline just to get myself motivated.

Hope your writing is inspired.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

...Know when to run...

I have to admire your tenacity. Even though I have set goals over the years, I have also consistently broken them. Sometimes I wonder if this painful, tedious, gut-wrenching, heart-twisting, headache-inducing process is worth it. But it only takes a short hiatus to miss the joyful, exciting, heart-racing sensation of crafting something with words. And the closer I get to then end of Shoe Tree, the more exhilerating the ride.
It sounds like you've worked out a good plan with your limited time. I've often heard that a person should put their piece away for a while before returning to it with a revisionist's eye. And maybe returning to Free Lunch with a fresh perspective will help you discover the unique perspective you're looking for.
In recent weeks, I was invited to join a novel writers group, one that will look at a large chunk of my book. Yipe. I'd never looked a large chunk of my book. But I've printed it out, mostly in order, and filled a 1 1/2 inch binder. Wow! Have I got my work cut out for me in the revision stage! But, for now, I'm enjoying the process.

Thanks for sharing your woes and inspiration...and reminding me about the fun world of student drama.
Happy writing and I'll see you at Khardomah!

Listening to: Matchbox Twenty "Exile oln Mainstream"
Word Count: no idea...but ever increasing :-)

outdoorwriter said...

My son loved acting, from middle school through four years of high school. Now he's at MSU and doesn't have the time to pursue any roles.

I don't write short stories, but I'm thinking of dipping just a toe to try something different. I have a plot, based on a real event, but as always dialog escapes me.

It seems lately, I'm having trouble finishing pieces. I get started and look at them and think they are just drivel or a rehash of something I wrote before. Maybe we're all getting a touch of cabin fever--I'm sure ready for spring.

See you all at Khardoma. I need a lift that only comes from being with other writers.

smcelrath said...

Robyn,

That is so cool that you joined a novel writers group. I was just reading something about that in one of my writing magazines (or possibly on a blog). I like our PW groups, but sometimes it would be great to get feedback on how it all flows together. It's really hard to do that in our small groups. I'd love to try to put together a novel writers group out here on the Lakeshore--but I don't know others who are writing novels. Bit of a problem.

I'm surprised that you think the Shoe Tree will need that much revision. The parts I've read seemed so polished.

And I know you have lots of readers out your way, but if you happen to need someone to read your manuscript when you are done--I'm your gal. Remember, I read LOTS of YA stuff. (Okay, so that was a bit shameless, but still true!)

Speaking of which, I just read The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. What an awesome and distinct voice that book has! It made me laugh and cry--and gave me a really good look into the mind of a teenage boy.

And I hear you Larry, cabin fever it is. As far as writing dialog, well, I have to admit that is always my hardest part too. Still, you can always revise shit, but you can't revise nothing. :)

outdoorwriter said...

"... you can always revise shit, but you can't revise nothing."

I need to stick this right above my computer screen. Excellent point!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah.

Thanks for the offer! I may have to take you up on it. And that offer is reciprocal, if you should need a reader.

And great advice. I should have had that above my computer in those days and weeks that I wasn't so productive. I think we all dwell in the land of creative drought sometimes.

I have to admit that I was a bit discouraged as I was putting the sections together. Some of it was written so long ago (we're talking years!) that I couldn't remember the order. They're definitely getting the weakest part...but I guess that's what it's all about. I am still excited about seeing almost all of it together in one document and to have that feeling that it's almost done. Whoohoo!

Looking forward to Khardomah and some kick-ass writing time. And a kick-ass writing community.

An **honest** word count (a word count that does not include the short story + pages that spawned the novel): 96, 800

Listening to: The Best of Rent (I saw the musical when I was in Chicago for training; awesome!)