Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Creative energy

Today's Mood: Relaxed. Today's Music: U2--The Joshua Tree. Today's Writing: IFFY. Today's Quote:
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.~ Robert Cromier
*******
I was hot today. The writing was flowing and I was working the words and then... I had to quit because it was time to go to work. No wonder I've been stuck on this dang chapter forever...well two weeks anyway. Oh, I wish I had more time!

Of course, when I do have time, what do I do? Work out in the yard. Watch the birds. Eat Popsicles. Read Francine Prose's book How to read like a writer. Great book by the way. Makes me want to go back and read the classics. Not that I have time.

I can't WAIT until Glen Lake!

Are there certain things that make you want to write? I read the book City of Ashes. Started it in the evening and read until 1:00 in the morning. The kids were in bed and my husband was gone and all I was doing was sitting and reading. But the story was so intense and I was so into it that I was sweating! Literally! I even ended out unbuttoning my shirt. The next morning I got up and read during my writing time. I finished the book later that afternoon. But even though I had little sleep, I was fired up. And the really awesome part is that it made me want to write! Ideas crowded into my head and the I'd think of new plot twists, scraps of dialogue, and descriptions of thing. The City of Ashes characters would keep cropping into my thoughts, but they weren't interfering.

Sometimes when I read a great book, it stalls my writing. It saps my energy and I end out thinking, I am never going to be able to write like this. I wish I could write a book that makes someone forgot to sleep, eat, take care of kids..... So why is it that some books feed my own creativity, and some make me feel like such a novice that I despair of ever being able to write a book good enough to obsess readers? Is it just mindset to begin with?

Have any of you ever had experiences like that? Do some books make you feel like you will never be that good a writer? Do some books pump you up and make you want to write? What do you think makes it go one way instead of the other? 'Cause personally, I like the energy created in the later!

1 comment:

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

I have lots of days when my confidence is shaken. And days that inspire me to get my butt in the writing chair.

Gene Hill is one of my favorite outdoor writers and my biggest inspiration. He has a story titled "Old Tom" about a man whose dog is dying. The man wants the dog to once more experience the smell of grouse, but the hunting season is closed. He takes the dog and goes anyway. The entire story uses 345 words, 16 sentences and three paragraphs. All the emotion, soul searching. and love for his dog in so few words. I'll never be able to write like that--but it does inspire me to write.

Other nature/outdoor writers have shown me it's not the number of frilly words, but the way they're used, the way the brush strokes impart color to the work. Some are bold like VanGogh and others more delicate like Monet.

In the outdoor market world, lots of writing is formula writing. I have no clue what that is, and don't think I could do it if I did. My writing has to come from inside myself. I may not get it published, but I still have to write my way. Only I see what I see. My life experiences are my own, not someone elses, although they may have had similar events.

I'd like to find more time to read, but there's only so many hours in a day. I've been cutting wood, preparing to plant wildlife food plots, and just enjoying working in the dirt and playing with my tractor.