Sunday, June 8, 2008

Change in Writing Schedule

Today's Mood: Relaxed. Today's Music: Muse--Invincible. Today's Writing: Blog. Today's Quote:
"Writing is like getting married. One should never commit oneself until one is amazed at one's luck." -Iris Murdoch , in The Black Prince
*******
It's summer! Summer, summer, summer! Summer indicates a lot of changes in my household: later to bed, later to rise, lots of swimming, biking, eating salads and grilled food. And biggest of all for the writer in me--a change in my writing schedule. Now instead of getting up and going to work early, I have to find some other place to squeeze in an hour or so of writing.

[short lapse--day or so] Sorry about the delay getting this up on the blog. We had some big storms and evidently that knocked out my charter signal. And then I had to reconfigure the router. Of course, I didn't have time to even look at it until the birthday madness cleared up. Not my birthday--my daughter's. 6 screaming kids. Boy, oh boy, I can't wait for Glen Lake!

So what have you all been up to?

3 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Well, let's see. I finished an Upland Bird Hunting Forecast for a new magazine. I think it will be a new assignment. It covers around 10midwest and upper midwest states.

I've been planting food plots and playing farmer and cutting wood. I'm thinning our woodlot to give the good, i.e. valuable, trees a better chance. Also building fence and brush baricades to keep quads and snowmobiles off the powerline, which I leased so I have the right to kick people off.

I'm attending a workshop on herbicide treatment of cut stumps and shrubs if you don't want them to sprout and grow back. Hopefully, I'll be able to come back with an article. There are lots of chemicals out there and they need to be used correctly and carefully.

Ans last but not least, I've been marveling at Nature. Plants that I want to grow and try to make everything--fertilizer, water, etc--perfect fail. Yet, those same plants flourish in the gravel beside the drive. The summer wildflowers are just getting started, so I'll have lots to ponder for a while.

Wish I was going to Glen too, but it's just too hard to get away. Besides, my dad's birthday is on Father's day. He'll be 90 and still driving, etc. Enjoy yourself and write lots.

smcelrath said...

Larry,

You have been busy! And I love this time of year too. My gardens are looking great, and are lots of fun to putter around in (except for the donating half my blood to those thirsty mosquitoes--which seem exceptionally plentiful this year!)

I put little bags of soap on sticks and staked them around the gardens, and so far the deer have left my plants alone. Of course, after this rain, the slugs are doing a number on my hostas, but I plan a mass extermination soon.

Great to hear from you--keep writing!

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

If you can catch hem out, salt disolves slugs. Just sprinkle it on them. I've read a saucer of beer gets them too.