Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Play Time

Today's Mood: Relieved. Today's Music: Alison Moyet. Today's Writing: Queries. Today's Quote:
"Many young writers make the mistake of enclosing a [SASE] big enough for the manuscript to come back in. This is too much of a temptation to the editor." -Ring Lardner, How to Write Short Stories.
*******
I am basking in the glow of having just sent off seven query letters. Yea me! Since June I have been worked on revising BD (several times in fact). And then I worked on creating an intriguing query letter. THEN I researched, and researched, and researched who to send it to. AND NOW I GET TO PLAY!

So what should I play with? Free Lunch? IFFY? poetry? an essay? The writing possibilities stretch out limitless in front of me like the Kansas highway. Only problem is I want to do it all. And paint. And draw. And and and....

What have you all been up to? Any exciting writing going on? Any advice on how to pick the next project?

4 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Wow, Sarah! Seven queries. Way to go. Maybe you could do a seminar for the rest of us. LOL!

Right now I'm working on a piece about Labrador retreivers--sort of a tribute to a great dog and breed. Then I want to do something on the progress in electronics for dog training. Garmin makes a GPS collar so you can track your dog. Pretty cool.

Play away and enjoy some down time. Sounds like you desrve a break.

smcelrath said...

Thanks Larry. Sounds like you've been busy too. GPS dog collars. Wow, everything is going high tech. these days. You should see what techie stuff my husband has for fishing!

Hey, are you going to Khardomah?

outdoorwriter said...

Well, I haven't registered since, like you, I don't stay at the lodge. With that in mind, maybe Cerise would let me in late. I sure enjoy all the other writing being presented.

High tech is everywhere. A far cry from the cane pole, bobber and a can of worms I learned on. The GPS collars are supposed to work very well. It tells you if your dog is moving, is on point, or taking a dump.

smcelrath said...

Larry,

You definitely should come. Lots of brain energy floating around. It's a great high.

"taking a dump." : )