Friday, April 10, 2009

What's in a Name?

Today's Reading: not much. Listening to: Sarah Bareilles' Little Voice. Today's writing: you're reading it. Today's Quote: "You're never completely ready, it just becomes your turn." --Ty Murray

I always struggle with names. I need the right name to get inspired. (Mumble) years ago I wrote a vampire story set in a fictional Upper Peninsula town. Grabbing a name essentially out of a hat, I called the town Seymour, at least until something better came along. Over the years, and after writing a second story in the same town, I've considered and discarded a dozen other names, from Purgatory (accurate and appropriate, but obviously an overused cliche) to Kiirastuli (Finnish for Purgatory) to Devil's Elbow. None felt right.

Then I read George Hamilton's fun autobiography "Don't Mind if I Do," and he mentioned someone named Earl Deathe. Deathe! Now there is a name that provides opportunities for confusion, obfuscation, and mispronunciation-- always great assets in a supernatural mystery. So considering the benefits, I googled Deathe on the Internet and came up with.... not a lot. The big geneology sites came up blank, although there were a few listings of people scattered around England and Canada, mostly on Facebook (I don't have an account) or posting job resumes.

Some 13 pages into Google links, I discovered Andrew Deathe, a museum curator in Wales, who offered an email link. I wrote him a tentative note, and he responded promptly and with great enthusiasm, telling me that his name ryhmes with "teeth," and offering delightful stories of his experiences over the years with his name, plus, and this is the best part, the history of the name Deathe. No, it has no association with death, or funeral directors, or grave diggers. It seems that it actually comes from Wallonia, the French-speaking area of Belgium. There is a town there called Ath and the name simply means 'from Ath', in French 'd'Ath'. "Deathe" is the rarest variation of the (still very rare) name D'Eath or De'Ath, forms which are more often pronounced 'Day-aath'.

So I have a new name for Seymour, Michigan, and new inspiration.

Can something as simple as a name or a word send you off on flights of fancy, spur you on to new insights and inspire your writing? For me it can. Now I just have to apply fingers to keyboards and attempt to make magic.

7 comments:

smcelrath said...

Mark,

I struggle with names, sometimes picking something random just to have something. But every once and awhile I feel like I get one that fits. My main character names all have to work for me. Sometimes I've tried more than one before I get something I like. Street names have always been a big help--and I finally broke down and bought a character naming book which has names arranged alphabetically and by ethnic origin. Still, sometimes the best way for me to get a good name is to ask my oldest daughter. She is good at coming up with names.

And not that I minded Seymour--but Deathe is way cool for a supernatural thriller or a mystery.

Now titles... whoa, don't even go there.

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

Good and glad to see you back blogging.

Several years ago on the way to South Dakota we passed through Blue Earth, Minneosta. I've swirled the name around in my head ever since. Just always thought it would make a neat setting.

Get a map of Iowa or South Dakota and find names like Marengo, Medora, Mount Vernon, etc. Small towns, probably with family names. For example, Rockford was once Laphemville.

Good luck putting the words to paper. I just got a tentative assignment to do a piece on releasing quail for dog training. I have 100 day-old chicks coming sometime next month. Can't wait to see the little bumble-bee-sized fluff balls.

Mark Wolfgang said...

I could have mentioned that my main character in "Bedderhoff Dead" has had a few names before I finally settled on one that fits. And after "Devil's Elbow" popped into my head unbidden, it turns out that there really is a Devil's Elbow in Missouri. I had no idea. Maybe I heard it once and subconsciously retained it.

Plus now I wonder if I should rename "Bedderhoff Dead" as "Life in Deathe." Don't get me started on titles either!

Larry, are your chicks coming by U.S. mail? I overheard two women in a recent discussion about chicks being sent by mail. They were dumbfounded. My mother was postmaster of Dansville years ago, I remember when cartons of chicks passed through. ("The chicks are in the mail." Now there's a writing prompt!)

outdoorwriter said...

Mark;

Yes; they are coming in the mail. They're supposed to call the day they ship. Hopefully, the P.O. calls me when they arrive. There will be some surprised looks because I want to open the box and make sure they all survived.

smcelrath said...

Larry,

My girls would love "bumble-bee-sized balls of fluff." We had bunny wars this weeks already when my daycare provider took them to see baby rabbits. They really, REALLY thought we should allow them to have one in their room. So not going to happen.

Mark,

I always liked Bedderhoff Dead--but Life in Deathe is good. Very good. Hmmm.

The chicks are in the mail--I think I will use that as a prompt! My 6th grade writers will thank you guys. : )

Mike said...

One suggestion: Esca-feratu. Or Nosfernaba. Or Copper-vania. By the way, have you seen "30 Days of Night" yet? GREAT vampire movie for us northerners... (sorry, it is late).

Mark Wolfgang said...

Unfortunately, naming issues aside, I have to get back to writing the stories. Too many distractions.