Sunday, November 29, 2009

Hunting fresh images

Today's Mood: Laid back. Today's Music: U2--Rattle and Hum. Today's Writing: nil, nothing, zip, zero. Today's Quote:
Some people change because they see the light, others because they feel the heat.
- David Thornburg
*******
How do you go about finding/thinking of fresh images? As writers we are supposed to avoid cliches, but finding GOOD fresh images is hard. I swear my mind gets in a rut (kind of like I do making dinner) and I can only think of certain things.

I picked up a new book of Billy Collins poetry--Questions About Angels--and as I sit reading it, I'm struck by what great images he comes up with. I suppose all good poetry is made up of images that help the reader see the world in new ways, but at the moment I am extolling Billy Collins. I'd love to see his notebook; does he have lots of things crossed out? Take this stanza:
"Clouds that once toured the air in the style
of dirigibles now gather helplessly in the kitchen
and stare at me across the long wooden table."

Might he have first tried: Clouds that once traveled above like race cars? Or maybe Clouds that flock together like sheep/ now huddle together in the pen/ and stare at me across the iron railing?

Do poets or writers as good as Collins work through a number of images, trying them on like hats until they find one that fits, that brings out their inner persona, be it a cowboy or a gangster? Or maybe they just see the world in fresh ways right from the start. Am I too jaded, too stuck in the deep muddy ruts on the main road to find the small deer path leading off into the forest?

Am I asking too many questions for this late at night? Probably, that's what poetry does to me.

So what do YOU do to come up with new images, metaphors, similes? Do you brainstorm? Make a web--kind of like Fleda Brown had us do at the fall retreat. Do you keep a journal with lists of possible metaphors/similes? Do you ... I don't know, read a lot? Try to connect new things and see if it works? Obviously I could use some help here.

5 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

WOW!! You sure have a way of keeping the juices flowing!

One thing I do, is craft word pictures in my head while I'm doing other things,like driving from here to there. I write them down if I have paper close by.

Sitting in a folding easy chair, tucked into a few, small, fallen oaks on the edge of the power line, watching for deer, I was amazed at how apparition-like they appeared as they stepped out of the brush into the open. They disappeared as quickly as they appeared into brush on the other side of the powerline. A group of three drifted through the grass like fog rolling off a lake. It was an awesome experience.

Sometimes I try to visualize sounds: the squeeky-gate whinnying of sandhill cranes, the flit of bird wings at dawn, a rooster pheasant's cackle and clattering wings flushed from grass, the crunch of frost underfoot,or the whisk of wind-blown leaves,etc.

I agree, reading gives us lines to steal or make us think, "Why didn't I think of that?"

smcelrath said...

"One thing I do, is craft word pictures in my head while I'm doing other things"

How do you do that? Do you just work at comparing things in your head--the lesser known with the better known? Maybe I need to keep pushing myself. I think I "settle" for the first image that comes to mind. Maybe if I kept pushing... Quite possibly I'm afraid of getting too weird or something.

Some of the best descriptions come from my daughters--10 and 7 yrs of age. Funny how they, with less words, less images at their disposal, come up with unique descriptions of things. And maybe it is BECAUSE I have read so much, heard so much, that I reach for the known instead of having to find my own description.

As for sounds, I've often wished there was a dictionary for sounds-- the ffftt of air escaping, or the KKKaa! sound my dad makes in the back of his throat when he thinks we have said something ridiculous. How can I spell those so that people would hear them?

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

I gave you question some thought. I guess I day dream and compare images. A snow-covered muskrat house reminds me of Hostess Snowballs. A full moon? A dinner plate or gold medallion. A grapevine entagling a small tree and covered with snow reminds me of a colonial wig.

I think we can use metaphors and similies too much. Annie Proux uses great images but too many. After while it seems like it's more about the images than the story and can get distracting. But then she's won several awards so who am I to judge?

smcelrath said...

I agree. Story comes before all, so if the metaphor/simile doesn't clarify or add something, then it shouldn't be used.

And thanks for explaining your method of coming up with images. I guess I was doing that same thing yesterday morning as I drove to work. The moon was low, full, and pale peach. Beautiful.

Unknown said...

Well even i like such outstanding images.. Awesome pictures!This is fantastic, ! You are certainly multi-talented. What an inspiration! Hope to see some more work from you.

r4i