Friday, November 13, 2009

In the world of a writer

Today's Mood: Relieved (read that as TGIF) Today's Music: I'm checking out the Trans-Siberian Orchestra CD a friend lent me. Today's Writing: IFFY. Today's Quote:
"It's not what you do once in a while. It's what you do day in and day out that makes the difference." -Jenny Craig

*******
I dragged my sorry butt out of bed only minutes before 6:00 a.m. That meant I had less time than ever to write this morning. And of course, I was just getting into it, just feeling the first faint stirring of the flow, like the second or third step into the river when the current starts to lap at your legs but isn't yet a constant pull, when the phone shrills and someone needs assistance.

The day progressed, troubleshooting about the building, cataloging books--and deciding that one needed to go to the high school since it was too racy for middle school, picking out books for Monday's classes, teaching my graphic novel class, and then finally, my creative writing class. The sixth graders, all ready to write, and me, excited about some more writing time. But then one needed help using the thesaurus and another wanted a starting line, still another had questions about what I was writing. And before I knew it, the hour was done, kids needed to check out, and a teacher wanted help with his voice enhancement system.

I vow to write this weekend. I want to. I need to. But I also know full-well what happens on weekends. Marisa wants to get her ears pierced having finally screwed up her courage, laundry is overflowing, the house could use a cleaning (really, you have no idea how much it could use a cleaning. We should fire the damn housekeeper--oh wait, that's me), and I suppose we'll have to eat as well.

BUT I WILL WRITE. somehow.

5 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

"Keep the faith,...." Wouldn't it be marvelous if just once the words, time, and ideas all aligned? Just remember, if it was easy, everyone would do it.

I have been struggling with my demons lately. It's noe a matter of time; it's more about comittment. I worry that I've run out of things to say. Then, one of the salesman at one of our suppliers is into falconry. He has a young red-tailed hawk that he flies at lunch sometimes. Wallah! A new idea for an interview and story. Maybe even two. Most of us are fascinated by birds of prey. I know there are several species, but to me they're all hawks. I can only positively identify a couple of species.

Keep writing!

smcelrath said...

Larry,

I've always been intrigued with the birds of prey--and falconry is an awesome subject to explore. We have quite a few eagles out by us now as well.

I didn't get more than a few lines written this weekend. I should have just let the laundry pile up a few more feet.

outdoorwriter said...

Yeah, they are very cool! The powerline bisects our property and we often see red-tails perched on top of the towers. I could watch them soar for hours.

When I was in Kansas a couple of years ago, I saw harriers. They drift just above the tall grass when they hunt. There aren't many trees on the prairie, so the perch on fence posts and telephone poles.

We see eagles along the Kalamazoo River sometimes when we go to Allegan. Our expanding wildlife populations is incredible. To think, 40 years ago eagles were endangered due to DDT. Now they are a common sight. Mothe Nature is very forgiving.

Mike said...

Sarah & Larry,

Well, I have to agree that life is what happens in between writing sessions. And it eats into it. Greatly. Yesterday I returned home after a long day's work, did 6 loads of laundry and dishes, put together this week's radio show and thought about writing this a.m. Then I have a lunch date with a friend, fielded three phone calls, answered emails and... poof! Times up. This is why I treasure the retreats at Glen Lake so much. I'm trying to carve out time to write. I sometimes wonder if it would be different if I wrote full time?

Did anyone see the 60 minutes segment last week about dinosaurs evolving into birds? And the hotly anticipated dino-chicken that scientists are cooking up?

smcelrath said...

See? That's why life is so interesting. After all this time, we finally find out about the dino-chicken. What more new things are out there to be learned, discovered, created?

I've thought about writing full time too. It sounds like a dream come true. But I've found out (the hard way, mind you) that dreams don't always work out the way you think. Would I like the pressure of "having" to produce in order to eat?

And at this point in my life, it's not practical. I carry the insurance for the family--would have a hard time writing enough/selling enough writing to afford to buy it for all. I am sort of responsible to make sure they get fed as well.

Still, to have whole days, like up at Glen Lake.... It scares me a little that I could just exist in that other world, that parallel universe. Would it be good for me? Maybe artists are designed to be world walkers, traveling between the two in order not to get lost in either.

This weekend: laundry, food preparation, party with family, baby shower with in-laws, homework, trumpet torture, church, cleaning the house to keep it from being condemned... the list goes on. Where can I fit in writing?