Monday, December 22, 2008

Glorious Vacation

Today's Mood: Happy. Today's Music: A Windham Christmas (new CD from Gloria) Today's Writing: Finished this revision of Part III Black Dragon (Glory Be!) Today's Quote:
*******
I think too much. (Huge surprise to you all, isn't it?) It took me waaaaay too long to finish revising the last few chapters. Over the weekend I'd boot up the computer, open the BD file, stare at it, maybe switch (add or delete) a few words, then shut down. I'm having a hard time settling--being quiet enough to hear what I need to write/change. Some of it is the time of year because there are all these parties to plan for, shopping to do, and shoveling. Lots and lots of shoveling. And I suppose, truth be told, part of it is that I can't quite decide how to end it. In a way, it seems too fast--like maybe I should put more detail, more chapters. Yet why drag it out?

Today I went over to Gloria's to write. After a lot of eating, we finally did settle down to write. At one point I must have made a frustrated noise (probably get that from my dad--it sounds a bit like someone did the Heimlich maneuver on me), because Gloria asked what was up. I told her I didn't know if I liked the ending. And after talking about it a bit (and reading some of it out loud) she suggested ending the novel in a different spot. I had never thought about ending it there. I have to say, I think it might work. Always nice to get a new perspective. That's part of what I like about getting together and writing with other writers. Not that we actually work on the same piece of writing, but just having them there to talk to, ask questions, or look so diligent that it makes me feel guilty enough to be diligent too.

My self-imposed deadline of the end of December is looming impossibly close. I don't think I'll make it, but I intent to get through the next (umpteenth) revision on Part II at least. Who knows, maybe I can finish it all by the end of January.

What about you all? Any deadlines--self-imposed or otherwise imposed? Do you (like me) feel the need to set deadlines--or at least set some sort of goal?

3 comments:

Mike said...

I kept hoping to have my novel out by the end of 2008. I have the Proof in hand and I'm making my final changes but the season got a little overwhelming and I'm waiting until I have a few days off between Christmas and New Years to finish the project. So the book should come out in January '09. I did 'tease' on local public TV this a.m. with the Proof - trying to get the word out and interest up. This is the part I don't like so much, but it must be done.

Sarah and all writers - have a wonderful Christmas!

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

Ah, deadlines. They keep us working but add so much pressure. I have a deadline every month if I submit to "Woods and Water News" and when I wrote my column.

And I sure know about shoveling aka plowing. I'm running out of room to push snow and we have a looooong way to go. On the other hand, December is almost over and spring will be here in around 60 days--or at least maybe some spring weather. Hope blooms eternal in the optomist.

Everyone have a wonderful Christmas.

smcelrath said...

Mike, I think that is an awesome way to start the new year! Wish I got your local public TV so I could have seen it.

Larry, spring is just a tad hard for me to think about right now. The snow piles are over my head! But I have to admit--or at least the kid in me does--it's kind of exciting.

Merry Christmas to both of you as well. Happy writing.