Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Back from my Facebook fling

Today's Mood: Busy but good. Today's Music: Maroon 5. Today's Writing: Black Dragon second to last chapter. Agonizing. Today's Quote:
"Don't wait. If you want to be a writer, you have to write. All the time. Day in, day out. It's as simple as that." -Dorianne Laux, "Writing from a lived life," Writer's Digest, Feb. 09

*******
I know, I know, it's been forever. I have been writing--although, not as much as I'd like. Life is getting in the way. But it does go on, and lo and behold, word by word does get it done (albeit slowly). These last few chapters are killing me. First I worried that events seemed too coincidental, now I'm worried that I am rushing the denouement/conclusion. Face it, between the economy, the season, and my writing, I embody worried!

And, as if I didn't have enough to do in my life, someone sends me an email message saying that they put a picture of me on Facebook. What picture, is my first question. (Not that there are any sleaze shots of me out there floating around, but there could be some seriously ugly pictures of me out there.) My second question is What the heck is she putting pictures of me out on the web for anyway?! So of course I have to go check it out. And you can't see it unless you create a profile on Facebook. Yeah, I need another thing to update and check--cause I do so well keeping up on this blog.

But worry drives me to do horrific things, so I created a profile. And I was right to worry, the picture is scary. Writing for hours on end does great things for my soul but isn't so hot for my outer appearance. Oh well, I've seen worse pictures of me. I log off to go do laundry and slave-drive kids into doing their homework and cook dinner and.... the list goes on.

The next day when I check my email, there are 4 messages saying people have asked to be my friend. I felt a momentary thrill, as if I'd been transported back to high school and was suddenly popular. But then I realized all these people are already my friends! Nevertheless, I confirmed the friendships (which is just a matter of clicking confirm and nothing like exchanging gifts or spending time or making out or anything like that) and went on to check my profile.

The following day I logged into facebook to check what everyone was doing, and then I tried to think of something clever to put up on my wall. As usual, whenever I try to come up with something clever, my brain turns a drab gray and starts to shrivel. In the end, I decided I'm not the right sort of person to have a Facebook profile. I don't do witty, I can't handle looking good enough to live in a fishbowl, and I just don't have time.

Now that my fling with Facebook is done, I have grand hopes of posting more frequently--and finishing this round of revision by the end of the week!

4 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

Glad to see you back!! How can we stretch our minds, as well as offer our humble opinions, if you're not around?

Along that line, can you start a flashback short story with a newspaper obituary? I mean, I know I can, but is it something worth pursuing? Or should I start in the normal manner of story first and ending last? Or should I just stick to what I know and leave the fiction to others?

smcelrath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
smcelrath said...

Sure! All writing is worth pursuing, and there is a great short story contest through Writer's Digest. Not sure when they run that contest, but it is worth checking.

And I'm intrigued with the idea of starting with the newspaper obituary. Sometimes when I'm cataloging books I'll read the ending, get so intrigued at how it came to that ending that I have to read the whole thing. So if the emphasis of the story is not the outcome but HOW they/it arrived at that outcome, then it's a great plot devise.

Mike said...

Sarah, I'm adding to the blog even though I just wrote you through face book. I'm too old for face book, I've been told, which makes me want to stay on it forever, until I'm ancient.

Good to hear you are writing and I empathize with the struggle. An author friend of mine has told me that once I am through the final proof reading of my book to never look through it looking for mistakes again. I am eager for that day.

Last note here - the book, Everybody Dreams - looks like it will be released in January 09. I received the proof today, so it looks like a real book and I'm thrilled. But even more, I am grateful. I am SO grateful to PW and in my acknowledgements PW in general and a few individuals are singled out at the start. I would never have gotten this far without you guys. Much love.