Thursday, May 10, 2007

Change of scenery

Today's Mood: Content. Today's Music: Tori Amos- Tales of a Librarian (appropriate-don't ya think?). Today's Writing: finishing chapter 4 of IFFY--finally!!!!. Today's Quote:

"America believes in education: the average professor earns more money in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week." Evan Esar
*******
There is something to be said for change. Yesterday the students in the district where I work had the day off so that all of the teachers could go to an inservice (read--usually boring and unhelpful meeting). That being the case, my morning routine of getting to school early and writing was disrupted. Instead I met up with Gloria (PW member) at the high school, and we wrote there. Wow! The writing was just flowing. So much so, that I was unhappy about quiting and attending the meeting. (of course, since I'm usually not excited about said meetings, that doesn't say much--but truly, it was WORKING. And that hasn't happened in awhile)

Now I ask you, was it the change of scenery that did it? Could it be just shaking things up a bit helped my brain to break free of the crap that was blocking my writing? Have you tried writing in a different place? Or for that matter, what IS your favorite place to write?

3 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

I do think changing locations can fire up writing. One of my favorite places use to be a restaurant--like New Beginnings. I took my journal and just let thoughts go, something I haven't done in a long time. Even if it didn't produce a viable article or story it got the muse moving.

My favorite place now is in a corner of the dinning area where my computer is set up. I write best early mornings--between 3:00 and 5:00 a.m.

mike stratton said...

Hemingway wrote that he needed to be in Paris before he could start writing about Michigan, then needed to be some place like Cuba before he could start writing about Paris. I have my living room and a lap top. I love going to a lake and writing. Something about the water, even if I'm not looking at it. So, Glen Lake, Lake Michigan, Grand Haven, Mackinac Island are all places I've spent "writing vacations".

Now listening: Black Uhuru

smcelrath said...

32 more days until I've got my laptop out pondering the muse while I stare out at the blue-green water of Glen Lake!

And of course--there is always the paddleboard for inspiration.