Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Out of Order

Today's Mood: Disheartened. Today's Music: Coldplay. Today's Writing: same chapter 4 of IFFY that I have been working on for freaking forever. Today's Quote:
You are the only person who can really know what your story needs. Jon Bard (editor of Children's Book Insider)


*******

My novel is out of order. I have been stuck on chapter 4 for over 3 weeks and it is driving me crazy. I say, "Sarah, it doesn't matter if you write pure crap, you are going to put something on the page." So I do. And then the next day I read it and, lo and behold, it's pure crap! I can't get my mind wrapped around the problem I am having with emotion. Well, technically the character is having problems with it, but in the end it is me with the problem. I just haven't figured out how to SHOW what the character is experiencing--and have it make sense.

I've talked it out. I've gone round and round in my own head. I've started it several different ways. I still can't get a handle on it, and--big surprise--I don't like not being in control. Sigh. Tonight my friend said, "So, before you hang up the out of order sign, why don't you try skipping ahead to a scene that you do know and write that." Write the story out of order? Can I do that? No, can I do that?

I've got to try. I'm so dang linear on some things (not on actually drawing or sewing a straight line, mind you) that it is going to feel like ordering something out of one of those Fredrick's of Hollywood magazines--a little naughty. Of course, if I don't I just might have to take up drinking in order to see the main character's problem.

On a side note, I'm going to do a small writing group demo tomorrow at the high school. I'm struggling with what to read. There is a part of me (okay, a LARGE part of me) that doesn't want to look bad. That wants to impress them. But really, what I should do is bring this stupid chapter that I hate and that I've been struggling with forever and see what they have to take. Can my ego take it?

What's up with you all? C'mon you lurkers, speak up and tell us how your writing is going!

No comments: