Thursday, May 3, 2007

Dreaming Time

Today's Mood: Hurried. Today's Music: Ray LaMontagne--Till the sun turns black (my effort to slow down and relax) Today's Writing: Chapter 4 of IFFY (I know. Still. But it is going--which is better than a few days ago. Alas, however, it is going very SLOWLY) Today's Quote(s): (It's a twofer day)
The fisher droppeth his net in the stream, And a hundred streams are the same as one; And the maiden dreameth her love-lit dream; And what is it all, when all is done? The net of the fisher the burden breaks, And always the dreaming the dreamer wakes. Alice Cary

And so, his senses gradually wrapt In a half sleep, he dreams of better worlds,And dreaming hears thee still, O singing lark; That singest like an angel in the clouds. Samuel Taylor Coleridge


*******
I'm in serious need of some dreaming time. You know, the lay-in-the-sun, almost dozing but mind playing scenes in your writing like movies projected across your eyelids--that kind of dreaming time. Or maybe a long drive somewhere--without kids or spouse or anyone else, for that matter. Showers are great for dreaming time, but somewhere along the line I run out of hot water and then the dreaming becomes painful and nightmarish. Walking on the beach works for me. And soft days, walking in the rain (soft days are when it is warm and rainy). Biking is good. Swimming doesn't work so well because there is the drowning factor. I don't float. I sink. So dreaming and swimming--not so much. But hot tubbing's helpful. I would say wine (or Mike's Cranberry Hard Lemonade which I am particularly fond of), but then I go beyond dreaming to actual sleeping and that isn't productive (for writing. It is, however, very productive for developing patience with children who keep interrupting my dreaming and writing.)

The common theme appears to be time alone. Busy but not too busy. Relaxed but not sleeping. Not directed but still focused on what I'm writing.

Sigh. Maybe if I put my mp3 player on and turn up the volume I can count making dinner as dreaming time. Otherwise... Glen Lake is only 44 days away!

7 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

I love long drives alone with my English setter, Jenny, curled up in the seat beside me. Big Cabin, Oklahoma--with just an hour or so nap at a rest area when I felt myself wandering on the freeway at 3:00 a.m. Similar drive to Larned,Kansas. Last weekend we went to MSU to help my son Aaron dismantle his "loft." Got home at midnight, slept until 3:00 a.m. drove to Rogers City and returned home by around 5:30 p.m. Lots of time to think, observe new places, eat at favorite old restaurants. Rogers City has a five-mile bike path that follows Lake Huron's shoreline. Looks wonderful. We have a meeting in June so look forward to walking or biking the path.

smcelrath said...

Yeah, I like driving at night--either with my music on or with someone who likes to get into deep conversations that go all over the place and then usually end up back where we started.

How's the writing been?

outdoorwriter said...

Ah, the writing. Lately, except for e-mails and a dog-training Forum I visit multiple times a day, it's been avoidance. Just can't seem to get the fire back.

I got a very nice e-mail from a reader telling me how much he enjoyed my writing. Made me feel wonderful, but didn't really move me past this block. Losing my column has been devastating, even though I know the editor is but one opinion. I'm struggling to move on. Just can't seem to find the motivation.

smcelrath said...

That must be awful. I know it would feel like losing a limb if I couldn't write. I've been struggling, but one of my best assests (you could ask my mother if she were alive and she'd tell you I was this way since birth!) is determination. Just gutting it out. Not much finesse, but there you have it.

Are you going up to Glen Lake? That always gives me a lot of motivation and energy--just being seeped in the artist atmosphere, everybody writing and sharing and that lake to look at.

And if you really, really can't do that (try hard because it is probably one of the best places to be when you are struggling), then join a small writing group. Contact Jan Andre if you are looking for one closer to GR.

Hang in there.

mike stratton said...

Hey Gang!

I, too, am looking forward to Glen Lake. Some time off sounds great. I'm super busy this week, working full time plus putting together a big presentation for probation officers on Friday then the PW talk on poetry. I keep getting the two confused. I imagine myself threatening the probation officers with poetry, and who knows what I might pull on Saturday?

I'm sorry you lost your column - that must be difficult. I wrap a lot of my identity into my work projects, and when one of them fails I feel like a failure until my creative juices get cranked again.

Mike
listening: Wilco "Yankee Foxtrot Hotel"

smcelrath said...

Dang! And I can't go on Saturday. Maybe being tethered would bring out the poetry in me. And I can just picture the probation officers cringing while you wax eloquent with purple prose. :0

I caught a bit of Wilco on Austin City Limits (I think that is what the show was called.) I liked it. The show also had Bright Eyes and GBV. Good stuff.

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah and Mike;

Thanks for your encouragement and support. I am working on a couple of pieces: one about hunting ethics and the other about invasive species.

I can't make Glen Lake in the summer. Just doesn't work with family and vacation schedules. I know how productive Glen can be.