Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Contests

Today's Mood: Hot--okay that's a physical state, but it certainly affects my mood. Our library is not air-conditioned. Today's Music: Nothing at the moment--Shawn MacDonald earlier. Today's Writing: Chapter 5 of IFFY. Today's Quote:

"A book, too, can be a star, 'explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly.'" Madeleine L'Engle quoting British Astronomer Sir Fred Hoyle


*******
Just thought I'd pass along this information on how to find writing contests. This comes from Children's Writing Resource Center.

How to Find Writing Contests
Writing contests are great ways to gain some recognition and find out exactly how you stack up against other writers. There are many, many contests these days, ranging from big national events to tiny niche competitions.
Want to find out if there's a contest you're perfectly suited to win? Try these hand-picked links....
www.writersdigest.com/contests/

Have you entered any writing contests? Good experience or bad? Do you think entering contests is helpful to your writing career--and I use the term career loosely since I am not giving up my day job any time soon.

2 comments:

mike stratton said...

Sarah,

I entered an on line poetry contest for Random House a number of years ago. They told me that had over 10,000 entries, so I figured that was that.

I was given one of five honorable mentions for my poetry. There was a also a winner and a runner up, so I figured that I placed in the top seven. Strange to think of 'poetry' and 'competition' in the same sentence, though. It gave me encouragement that I was on the right track with my poetry and they sent me two very handsome collections of poetry in hard back.

Mike
now listening: Billy Eckstine

smcelrath said...

Mike--

That's awesome! Top seven out of 10,000! You are good!

Sooooo, why haven't you entered again? A lot of contests run every year.

Remember, Sarah always says: you can't win if you don't play. ;)

'Course, I really shouldn't talk. I could enter more than I do. Sometimes it takes too much time away from just writing.