Sunday, June 17, 2007

Glen Lake

Today's Mood: Excited. Today's Music: Tori Amos--Beekeeper. Today's Writing: just getting started. The possibilities are unlimited! Today's Quote:
I heard words are a lot like fish ... they mostly bite better in the morning! -on the Glen Lake conference schedule

*******

No one is awake in my cottage. The slopes on the other side of Glen Lake--which I can see out through the sliding doors--are a misty blue, rising out of the silver water. Anything seems possible. Words really do rise like fish, nibbling at the surface of my mind. I see someone out in front of cottage seven, sipping coffee and writing. Yes, catching words on paper.

Yesterday I arrived all sticky and stressed after a week of hot weather and household chaos. The only words that were close to mind were heated, angry, bitter. I set up my writing stuff and didn't even want to face those words. So I went for a swim. Out in the lake I could feel the water washing away home, healing the bruises, easing my soul. The words weren't there yet, but I could start to feel them swimming somewhere deep inside.

Later, down by the campfire, we watched the thin slice of cantaloupe moon sink behind alligator hill, like it was being eaten by the night. Venus was shining bright on the horizon and I found my spot here on earth. I found the world I need.

This morning I woke and couldn't go back to sleep. The words are biting.

2 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

Like a trout rising to a delicate, flawless presentation or the small fish at the end of the dock, I hope your words keep rising and nibbling. Tell everyone I said, 'hello." Wish I was there.

smcelrath said...

Larry,

We wish you were here as well. The weather has been wonderful and the writing equally so. Last night there were thunderstorms, and the storm definitely left sea treasures for me this morning. The writing flowed.

Hope you are writing as well.