Monday, June 11, 2007

Writing Time

Today's Mood: Distracted. Today's Music: Coldplay--X&Y. Today's Writing: Climax of IFFY. Today's Quote:
It's not what you do once in a while. It's what you do day in and day out that makes the difference. -Jenny Craig
*******
Summer vacation officially starts today at 3:00 p.m.. So of course I am making a list of everything I need to do--before Glen Lake/ before summer is done. Somehow people have in their heads that I get most of my writing done in the summer. This is far from the truth. The lack of schedule (and the fact that I have two children and a house that has had many projects that have been put off because I don't have time during the school year) means I don't have a SET time to write.

I aim to fix that this summer.

I am sitting here thinking about setting my alarm every day for 7:15 and getting up to write before the kids get up. Or, I could write for four or five hours every Thursday and Friday. Which is better? Writing every day for an hour, or writing two days a week for four hours at a crack?

What is your writing schedule? Do you think it is important to have a schedule?

2 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

I vote for one hour every day, and if things are really flowing stretch it to as long as you can and still be productive. My best writing time is between 3:00 and 5:00 a.m. The house is quiet and I can concentrate. Often I have the TV going, but don't pay much attention to it.

One advantage to writing four hours every couple of days is you can work on multiple pieces. Personally, I like to get an idea and just write. I go back in a few days and edit, although I sometimes edit on the fly. Mostly I eliminate adjectives like the, etc. and prepositions. My goal is "0" passive sentences. A little easier if only producing 1,000 words or so.

Good luck at Glen Lake.

mike stratton said...

Most of the first draft of my novel came out in 30-45 minute spurts. I can only write in the a.m. when I'm working - after work I'm spent, creatively. That's what I love about Glen Lake. I take two other writing vacations a year and write for several hours a day.

Mike
now listening: Black Crows