Thursday, July 24, 2008

Shot in the arm

Today's Mood: Amiable. Today's Music: The Fray--(yup, Robyn, it's new) Today's Writing: scraps of dialog from IFFY (the scene just popped in my head during my shower. I LOVE SHOWERS! Somehow they help wash the good stuff out onto the page.) Today's Quote: (Oh, the pressure!)
"Writing amounts to creating an oversized clay model; editing is the removal of the excess clay to reveal the piece inside." -Mystery writer Archer Mayorin "How I Write" The Writer August 2008

*******
I love my small writing group. Just when I'm in my most doubting mood, the writing going slower than the slugs in my garden--and leaving something similarly slimy and disgusting in its wake, it comes time to meet with my writers' group. I agonize over what to bring (do I bring something I think is really good and risk getting my bubble popped? Or do I bring something sluggish and risk having them throw me out of the group?). But when I see the other members of the group, they greet me as a writer, and suddenly, I see myself as a writer again. We get down to work and read and comment and hone our craft. And I come away from group so pumped up that it doesn't matter if I need to do some major rewriting, because I'm a writer damn it! That is what I do. I write and rewrite until I get it as polished as I can.

Last night I received what I think is the best compliment anyone has ever given me about my writing. I had read my piece and the group had discussed it, so it was my turn to talk. I asked if anyone thought the word dark was over-used in the piece (it was), and Shelly said, "Oh, sorry, I wasn't paying attention because I was so engrossed in the story I was reading ahead. You weren't reading fast enough for me; I had to find out what happened."

To heck with the overuse of dark, she just made my day/month/year! I went home and my mind was clicking away on new scenes and ideas. As my mother would have said--what a shot in the arm! Thanks group! You are the best.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Sarah,

Getting acknowledged is really important and it's so good to know when your 'stuff' is working. It's amazingly gratifying to have an audience respond the way you hoped, or beyond what you hoped.

It's also (tough to say) so important to realize when a joke falls flat or something is NOT working. I don't know where I first heard it (maybe I made it up? I doubt that...) but in order to make good art, you must be willing to make bad art. You have to be willing to be a beginner, to struggle to find your voice, to figure out what doesn't work, no matter how much you like it. That takes humility. I try to remind myself that I am a servant to the craft and to the reader. Does that sound overly precious? Oh well. It's true.

By the way - thank you for doing such a diligent job with the blog. I look forward to peeking in and, now and then when I have a moment, contribute.

Mike

smcelrath said...

No, thank YOU.

: )

But seriously, the blog wouldn't be much if no one took time to comment. Funny thing with writing feedback--I have an easier time believing that it needs changes, that it isn't working. I distrust when no one has anything for me to work on. So I have to tell myself that we are committed to the truth, and that means when the others in my group tell me something is good, then it is. They are not just trying to make me feel good.

And of course, I am bound to the same truth.

outdoorwriter said...

An aquaintance in Oklahoma who provived me with answers to questions while I trained my birddog is brutally honest--to the point he offends a lot of beginning trainers. I have been on the receiving end of some of his comments. However, I'll take that kind of honesty over the sugar coating any day.

If a story is too predictable right from the start the writer needs to know so he can revise the dialogue, plot or circumstances without destroying the story. Sarah, I know you work with yours a lot, tweeking it, changing voice, etc. It all pays off in a better story and better writing.