Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Zoned Out

Today's Mood: Blue. Today's Music: Sarah McLachlan--Rarities, B-sides... Today's Writing: IFFY. Today's Quote:
"We want to believe that creativity and innovation come in flashes of pure brilliance. But, innovation is a slow process of accretion, building small insight upon interesting fact upon tried-and-true process. Just as an oyster wraps layer upon layer of nacre atop an offending piece of sand, ultimately yielding a pearl, innovation percolates within hard work over time." -Janet Rae-Dupree, New York Times
*******
Today I want to think about two different, but possibly related, things. How do you get yourself to sit down so that you stand some chance of getting "in the zone?" And then, assuming you achieve the first, what do you do to bring yourself back to the "real" world? That is assuming the world doesn't just crash your party.

For the first question, I find myself coming up with excuses lately--not enough time, too likely to be interrupted, not in the mood to write, too much on my mind to write..... the list goes on. Usually I'm pretty good about getting my butt in the chair. Way, way back when, I thought I could only write when I was depressed. Granted, at the time maybe that was a good thing because I was depressed! But I learned I could write if I just sat down and started to write--gasp! Remember, I didn't say it was great writing or anything--but I definitely could write. And during the school year I have a set routine, so there isn't a question about sitting down to write; it's just what I do. But now.... I could use some help motivating me to get in the chair. I tried setting my alarm clock early with the thought that I'd get up and write before the kids were awake--but I turned it off (the last 3 mornings in a row!) Part of the problem is I hate to quit dreaming. I love that dozing stage where my brain is telling stories--so much easier than actually WRITING stories.

And that love of dreaming leads me to the second question: how do you ease out of the writing zone? After spending a number of hours writing, I get cranky going back to the details of real life--food preparation, clean up, refereeing children, bedtime routines.... It's all seems so mundane. A few times I've taken a short nap before I went to pick up the kids. That seemed to help. Taking a walk or sitting down (away from the computer) on the deck and relaxing with a cup of tea (or wine) also helps. Come to think about it, some of those things are the same things I do to get in the zone. Maybe it really is changing from left to right brained and back again.

Or maybe it's all in my head. Trust me, I'm starting to think writing is a complete head game. And right now I am so losing. I need a personal trainer or coach or anyone who will kick my butt out of bed and make me go write!

4 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;
I'm up every morning at 3:00 a.m. I could give you a call. Can't help much if you turn off the alarm.

You are not alone, believe me. I struggle every time I sit down to write. I feel like all my ideas are drying up. Once I finally get started, I hate to quit too, especially just to go to work. The productive time just goes so fast and if I don't get an idea, thought or line down on paper it's lost. My long-term memory is fine, but I can't remember 10 minutes ago.

It used to be I could sit down and write a piece in one sitting. Not any more. I pick at it like a kid forced to eat cold spinach. My only advice is to hang in there and keep at it. You're just in a slump, like the ball players. Soon you'll knock it out of the park.

smcelrath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

All of life is one big mind game. So how do we live and make it through each day? Stay with it, put one foot in front of the other, and plunk that butt in the chair.
Cheers,
Gloria

smcelrath said...

Oops! Sorry about the deletion. Just wanted to point out that 3:00 a.m. is a bit early for me.

And I agree with Gloria--it's ALL a big mind game.