Friday, August 24, 2007

Change in tense

Today's Mood: happy (of course, considering the amount of wine I consumed in the last two days...) Today's Music: believe it or not, I was listening to old tapes (yes, those old cassette tape things. Not as old as records but getting there) of Dire Straits and Peter Gabriel. Today's Writing: Chapter--I think it is 9 or 10 of IFFY. Today's Quote:
"That's just your [writing] gremlins talking"--Tricia and the other wild writer women of Whitefish Lake

*******
I changed to past tense in my current manuscript. BUT, I didn't start over. I was tempted to, but Tricia talked me into starting from where I was at in the manuscript--and making a note of it in my notebook so I know where I made the change. From the things Tricia has read, there is research that shows present tense to be the hardest to write AND read. I find that interesting because writing in present tense is my instinctive way to write--and I've written two novels in present tense already. In fact, I found the switch to past tense challenging. For some reason I have the tendency to want to use a lot of being verbs. I have to really think about how I can write past tense and use active, vivid verbs.

As for being hard to read--or more tiring--I can honestly say that I haven't notice it--IF the writing is good. Reading poor writing whether it be present or past is always tiring. But really, if the story is great and the writing is good, I often couldn't even tell you without looking if that book was written in past or present.

So why did I switch? Because I'm hoping it helps me with transitions. I get stuck in a scene or conversation and don't know how to get my character out of the room. She has to continue to see, smell, taste, hear, and say everything. I have a difficult time skipping over the unimportant parts without it sounding choppy. This wasn't a problem in my first two manuscripts because they are more journal format. But this story doesn't fit that style. Hence the attempt at past tense and a more storytelling voice. I'll let you know if it works. For right now, at least it is good practice for me.

Two more things. One is that boy, oh boy are the writing gremlins (those little voices in every writer's head that say that she/he is no good. They say this in all different ways--mine do go on about tense--and they are very insidious.) loud after such a long period with no [regular] writing. I needed my writing buddies to remind me that I am not a crap writer, or a piss-poor writer, and yes they WOULD let me know if I thought a piece was publishable and it really wasn't ready, and yes--if they tell me I am a good writer they are NOT lying..... Those gremlins! I really need some duct tape to put over their mouths.

Second thing. We--the wild writer women at Whitefish lake--saw the most gorgeous sunset. The pinks, salmons, oranges, and golds contrasted with the blues, indigo, and purples in spectacular patterns. And the fact that the tornado in Montcalm country was north of where we were in Montcalm county was also a good thing. I wouldn't go in that pump house if I saw the dang twister heading right for me! It looked exactly like a mausoleum. No joke. I decided I'd take my chances in the bathtub--but thankfully that was unnecessary as well.

I can't wait to get back to my writing and my writing schedule on Monday! Happy weekend. Happy writing.

4 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

I think I write in present tense also--I almost said as well, and I'm not sure if that's true. About writing well.

I have penned around 600 words so far for another article, so I'm excited about that. Maybe my block is gone. I'm still trying to get back to the voice I once had, but have seemed to misplaced.

The outdoor writers association I belong to has a summer and winter meeting. I wish we could have the kind of group critiques we get at small group or Glen Lake. Maybe a week-end workshop would be a better venue.

I definitely need to read more--especially the classics oe ven the new stuff. I haven't read one line in a Harry Potter book, but fantasy and sci-fi isn't my thing. Sorry, Sarah.

I found an interesting piece on good writers on the back of a magazine.

"The great Irish writer, Frank O'Connor, said he thought that any serious fisction was probably at least half nonfiction, and in the case of the really great writer, like Chekhov, it was probably 99 percent journalism ...." Don't know if that has any bearing. sejournalism

outdoorwriter said...

Sarah;

Is there a way to edit comments after posting them? Or maybe I just need a copy of "Proofreading for Dummies."

smcelrath said...

Larry--

If there is a way to edit comments--I haven't found it. And I hate it when I hit publish and then see a typo or some other mistake. Oh well.

You can preview before you publish--but I usually don't. Not enough time.

dreemryter said...

Hi All,

To edit a comment:
Post the comment.
Look at it on the original blog page.
Click BACK.
Click edit.
Edit it.
Post it again.