Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Polishing stones

Today's Mood: Productive. Today's Music: a mix of Sarah McLachlan, Maroon 5, Coldplay, and Collective Soul. Today's Writing: some pre-writing for a camping essay. Today's Quote:
"Sorry--if I had any advice to give I'd take it myself." -John Steinbeck
*******
The new issue of Writer's Digest came in the mail today. I haven't had time to read it, but I did page through it. An article titled Keep the Commission caught my eye and I skim read. It's about being your own agent, and hitting the small presses. Best of all it has a whole page of small press listings. I've only sent off a query to one small press so far. Still haven't heard back. Of course, it said it could take up to 12 months to respond to a query letter. But it's been almost 13 months. I supposed I need to look at sending out more queries. Of course, right now all I want to do is get writing again on a regular basis.

I also spent some time yesterday browsing the blogs, and came across an interesting post about Point of View. Check it out--it's August 20's post. (I thought Diana's storyboard thing--August 21 post--was interesting too. I wonder if that would help me with plotting as well--especially the whole sub-plot part) Right now I'm not stressing over POV so much as whether or not I should use past or present tense. Hmmm. I thought I'd give it a go in past--not that I want to bother rewriting anything right now, but if I can nail the voice, then maybe the writing will go a little easier. Wishful thinking at 11:13 (and after 2 glasses of wine. I didn't ask for the second, but my principal poured it anyway.)

And check out her Good Writing Advice Gone Bad--I can relate to some of this, can you?

2 comments:

outdoorwriter said...

I submotted my Treaty piece this morning, so we'll see if it gets published. The research proved so fascinating, if I could go back, I might have pusued Indian law.

I'm going to Glen in September. Yahoo!!!! First time in a long time. I've always enjoyed it, just hasn't worked out lately. I really need to get with other writers.

smcelrath said...

That is awesome--I mean, both submitting a piece you are passionate about and going to Glen Lake are awesome. I'm looking forward to talking to you in person. It's funny how well I feel like I know people by talking on the blog--when I've never (or seldom anyway) met them.